Ring Teal and NA Pintails

Apr 9, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone! I recently got my first pair of Ring teal a few months back and I am currently in the process of building them a much bigger aviary. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to make them happier? Also, how big of a nesting box do they need? (I have 2 boxes already, but I just want to make sure they are big enough for her to be comfortable in.) Is there any signs they show before the hen lays an egg? Also, I just recently ordered a pair of NA pintails that should get here this week. I have done my fair share of research on them and was wondering if there was any tips on keeping them. Thank you 😊

@MGG

Last edited:
Sorry I missed your initial tag, I keep losing threads!
Do you have pics of your current setup and aviary?
Do you think they're unhappy for some reason? Usually I've found that just having a well landscaped aviary and providing treats and clean water is all they need. Having friendly ducks also helps tremendously. They're excited to see you, instead of you bringing stress to their day it brings excitement. Whenever my birds hear me open the front door to go outside they get very vocal and happy. It's pretty cute.

The hen's bottom will get "saggy" usually a few days before they start laying. What kind of boxes do you have and what kind of bedding?
Northern pintails are generally easy ducks. The hen might lay the first year but usually don't raise ducklings successfully until the second year. First year ducklings just seem to be weak for some reason from a lot of species. There's not much research on it, but I think it's like the whole not hatching pullet eggs thing. Because the eggs are frequently not balanced right with nutrients and such.

What are you feeding?

Sorry I missed your initial tag, I keep losing threads!
Do you have pics of your current setup and aviary?
Do you think they're unhappy for some reason? Usually I've found that just having a well landscaped aviary and providing treats and clean water is all they need. Having friendly ducks also helps tremendously. They're excited to see you, instead of you bringing stress to their day it brings excitement. Whenever my birds hear me open the front door to go outside they get very vocal and happy. It's pretty cute.

The hen's bottom will get "saggy" usually a few days before they start laying. What kind of boxes do you have and what kind of bedding?
Northern pintails are generally easy ducks. The hen might lay the first year but usually don't raise ducklings successfully until the second year. First year ducklings just seem to be weak for some reason from a lot of species. There's not much research on it, but I think it's like the whole not hatching pullet eggs thing. Because the eggs are frequently not balanced right with nutrients and such.

What are you feeding?
The setup both pairs are currently in is a 5x10x6. They have only been in there a week and shouldn’t be in there for more than a couple more days as I’m nearing the end of my new aviary project. They seem quite happy and are always swimming and vocalizing with each other. The pintails run up to me when I come in the pen as well. The new aviary is a 10x26x8 with a small pond. I feed 19% purina duck pellets. I have a raised wood duck nesting box and a bored out tree trunk for nesting areas. The picture shows both nesting areas.

Attachments

• B8BAF7AD-A343-47B3-ADDA-4737D388EC5D.jpeg
    B8BAF7AD-A343-47B3-ADDA-4737D388EC5D.jpeg
    815.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom