Aviary Netting

I have used the cheap deer netting or bird nettting at Home Depot or lowes. I have never lost any in the pen other than a couple reached thru the chicken wire near the ground before i reinforced it. I have never had the wire ripped or torn by raccoons. I have trapped over a dozen raccoons by the pens in the last year. They never tried to tear thru it over the top.
It is cheap and an effective deterrent.

I use that type of netting on my coop, but it came from the safety net that goes around a trampoline. The only thing thats gotten in is a lost starling that flew in, but couldn't get out! And my cat even sleeps on top of it during the day. Very sturdy stuff!!!

Oh well I just bought this for my ducks. But I got the cheap one on Ebay in 50x50. Since my garden is 25x25 i can double it up twice so it will be 4 nets thick!

I found plywood in my shed too already cut exactly to size to make a 8'x4'x4' box for them to go inside at night. I think I am going to use the corrugated clear roof for them so they can see the natural cycle of light inside their coop.

I cant believe I am using everything recycled that was already here around the house except this net.

Wish me luck with predators using a net roof.
smile.png

Quote:
I absolutely agree. I had a 20X 36 foot pheasant pen of chainlink (buried edge) and chicken wire over the chain link, over the whole top was good aviary netting. Stinking coon chewed right through wherever it felt like. Lost all my ducks in there and 3 big Marans chickens. Then he was back the next morning trying very hard to get into another pen made of 1/2 inch hardware cloth. He couldn't manage that pen though. I cannot get him to go into a trap so I'm thinking some kind-hearted soul trapped him before and relocated him so now he knows better than to go into the trap. Karen

Back
Top Bottom