ayam cemani x orpington chicks 1 spraddle legged?

I can eat certain chickens I raise b/c I don't name them, those are the itty bitty peep peeps. They were straight run chicks from the feed store. They've been on a diet of 26% protein gamebird feed since I got them, I'm trying to connect to my food and cut out the middle man/corporate cruelty etc and know my chickens are happy and healthy, and the ones headed for freezer camp are also getting my backyard raised garden bed in shape for spring planting. It's more expensive per lb, but I'm grateful for what they provide and they have a very lovely life with us here.

Have you ever looked at the Cornish cross chicks at a feed store and thought of how all of them are almost 100% certain to have a very short life? I always think that and then it makes me want to save one. Maybe next year...... I'm still amazed at how many chickens you have.....I have 6, but I want one duck and maybe another chicken or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. Ok not 5.

Even organic chicken at the store has ammonia or chlorine in it from usda processing guidelines :( and are raised horribly :((

I know mine get great feed and life, greens, grass, sunshine, playing, doting ppl to tend to their needs.

My chickens get grasses and herbs, but I know they're headed for freezer camp, as well as any boys of these chicks. I might caponize them (the boys) to 1- prevent crowing and fighting issues 2- they get better meat 3- practice b/c I do want a self sustaining meat flock of fm meat and white bresse.

I was going to get cornish x chicks but I couldn't find them and I got the ones I have for .80 each.

The photo shoot in the bathroom of the chicks went ok yesterday. My bf is awesome!

I think one or two are boys, but we'll see!

I just put in a cake pan full of dirt from my garden and they are having a blast!!! It's beyond adorable!!

My friend suggested it to me that I got these chicks from and it's absolutely delightful. I put 2 big tubs if dirt ib with my itty bitty peep peeps while I wait for 150' of 1/2" galvanized fencing to arrive for putting up another dun dun dun!! Chicken run & coop!!

I just put in a cake pan full of dirt from my garden and they are having a blast!!! It's beyond adorable!!

My friend suggested it to me that I got these chicks from and it's absolutely delightful. I put 2 big tubs if dirt ib with my itty bitty peep peeps while I wait for 150' of 1/2" galvanized fencing to arrive for putting up another dun dun dun!! Chicken run & coop!!

Excellent idea, thanks!
I am going to stop watching the baseball game and go try that right now! I'd rather watch the peep-peeps run the 'brooder's field' anyway....way more fun to catch fuzz balls than fly balls any day!

They love it hughess! Hardly any poops at all in either the food or water dishes (highly unusual for 6 chicks) and the dirt and poops seem kinda located within a 'blast radius" of the cake pan of dirt.

I had thought when seeing a few of them earlier today scratching at the microfiber cloths that were layered down as bedding to be washed that maybe I should lay down pine bedding I had gotten this past weekend.

Upon speaking to my friend, who advised me to just get a little dish and fill it with some dirt from my garden to play in, gosh was I so happy that I listened to her immediately! Chick tv at it's finest, and no poops in food & water all day. What the cluck!? Yes, try it next time you have chicks they love it.

Another night and everyone is doing well!

Now.. I might need names for these chicks, before my bf ends up naming them for me.

And the older ones are hopping up onto the jar in the waterer and is jumping against the screen on top of the brooder box, there's an escape caper in the works I think.
this is a picture of them yesterday in their makeshift dust bath cake pan.

Back
Top Bottom