Babies expected Nov. 1. Im nervous!

TheRusticRebel

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
This is my first time hatching! I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs. Its coming up on 21 days soon. She is in her own little coop and run ( within the main run and attached to the big coop). How long do i keep her and the babies separated from the rest of the flock. Any thing i need to know? Ive raised chicks ( this broody is one) but im super nervous about this pending hatch.

Saw 2!
Screenshot_20231101-140508.png Screenshot_20231101-140537.png

I feel like the first one is a pullet and the second is a cockrel.

This is my first time hatching! I have a broody sitting on 5 eggs. Its coming up on 21 days soon. She is in her own little coop and run ( within the main run and attached to the big coop). How long do i keep her and the babies separated from the rest of the flock. Any thing i need to know? Ive raised chicks ( this broody is one) but im super nervous about this pending hatch.
As long as you have food and water available for them, you don’t need to do anything. Mama will take care of it. Be sure the food is appropriate for chicks, ie not for layers. I’m fact your whole flock can go on chick feed with oyster shell on the side for the ladies. The sooner you let mama and the babies in with the rest of the flock the better. Mama will protect them if necessary, and they’ll begin integration at a young age which teaches them the flock rules. Good luck, being nervous normal :) but chickens have been hatching eggs on their own for a long time.

Some broodies are quick to want to join the flock while others will remain in their own space if they have an option. My broodies are in the main coop which has a ramp. Some do not take the chicks down a ramp until they are severel weeks old, but showing the chicks what to do can have them going up and down within the first week.

yay, congrats! A mama with her babies, nothing cuter, or meaner lol.
There's a chuckle. So true.
I've had 2 broody's so far and my last one was spot on ornery. To make matters better she didn't want to get off her eggs at first. Stressful 3 or 4 days til she finally did. Then a rush to clean before she got back and tore me limb from limb.
Wouldn't change it for the world 19 weeks later 😉

Back
Top Bottom