Babies ship in a week from today!

Very excited for you. Make sure you show them water 1st thing! Shove their beak in it then the others will follow. My chicks are 2 weeks tomorrow. Mine are in pine shavings and MAN do they poop and eat like crazy. My original flock was bought at 6 week old. Way different this time . What breed are they? I got smokey pearls from local TSC . Good luck

Will do! Should they eat right away too? I need to pick up some pine still. I'm getting three shipped from Cackle....Easter Egger, Light Brahma, and Barred Rock. Yours?

Nice choice in breeds! I wanted an Easter egger so I'm officially jealous.
My original flock 6 weeks old from hatchery came with grow gel and some cuke slices. Really important that they drink right away and know where that is. Then show food source. From what I've read they are still absorbing nutrients from yolk so not starving.
With my day olds I called P.O. to let them know when (about) chicks were due and they called right away to let me know in a.m.
My chicks are smokey pearls from Cackle? Get them used to your touch and voice. I gave them a dirt bath and ended with this cute photo. :woot
PXL_20220324_220434755.jpg

Nice choice in breeds! I wanted an Easter egger so I'm officially jealous.
My original flock 6 weeks old from hatchery came with grow gel and some cuke slices. Really important that they drink right away and know where that is. Then show food source. From what I've read they are still absorbing nutrients from yolk so not starving.
With my day olds I called P.O. to let them know when (about) chicks were due and they called right away to let me know in a.m.
My chicks are smokey pearls from Cackle? Get them used to your touch and voice. I gave them a dirt bath and ended with this cute photo. :wootView attachment 3043604
They're cute!! I will call the post office. How long did yours take to arrive and what state are you in ?

I would also suggest leaving a sim light or strand of Christmas lights on the first few nights to prevent them from wandering out and not finding their way back under! My chicks are brooded in my mud room, and there’s nowhere I can sleep and hear them at night.

I would also suggest leaving a sim light or strand of Christmas lights on the first few nights to prevent them from wandering out and not finding their way back under! My chicks are brooded in my mud room, and there’s nowhere I can sleep and hear them at night.
Ok. Any harm in just keeping the bedroom light on? Theylm be in my spare room.

N
Ok. Any harm in just keeping the bedroom light on? Theylm be in my spare room.
No harm at all! I feel better knowing they can find things at night. You could always block it a bit so they get used to it getting “darker” if you want to also.

I'm using the Brinsea heater. Ok. I thought I would do puppy pads for about a week then pine chips. Upon arrival, do you put them right under the heat?
Yes, sorry, START with something they can't pick at until they've had a few days to get used to what food looks and tastes like, then you can do pine chips/shavings (big ones, not small), then move on to sand once the shavings are too messy.

Sand cleans up pretty easily, but it's also dusty as heck. If you are keeping them in a spare room, I would just stick with the pine chips and deal with the mess because dusting everything in your room that's been covered in half an inch of dust and powdered chicken poop is worse!

Back
Top Bottom