Baby Ancona Ducks Hatching!

We have already setup a coop for ducks including a small pond. I was going to order some Anconas online when I saw your post here in Tampa… so ironic. On holidays, the students have the option to care for the animals at home. Over the summer they will come to my house where I have a large pond. The students will spoil them for sure.
Sounds great!! I'm traveling this week and will be home over the weekend. Do you have some photos of the coop that I can share with my husband? And just to make sure... the ducks will be class pets? And should there ever be a time where you are unable to have them longterm, we will 100% take them back.

We currently have 2, not 3, as one sadly passed shortly after hatching. We don't know the genders.

PS. Here's a photo of the two needing a home. We call them Quaximus Prime and Cracker lol They were born October 5th, have an indoor brooder, and have been around people and hand-raised ever since. Eating chick starter and getting spring water with niacin and electrolytes. Both Anconas hatched in our home with eggs purchased from a certified Ancona small farm hatchery in Indiana. We chose this breed because we heard how tame, friendly, and easy going these guys are.

Just want to make sure they go to a loving home and are given lots of love (and when they grow up, lots of peas!).

Attachments

• 20231007_131536.jpg
    20231007_131536.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231007_131538.jpg
    20231007_131538.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 8
Sounds great!! I'm traveling this week and will be home over the weekend. Do you have some photos of the coop that I can share with my husband? And just to make sure... the ducks will be class pets? And should there ever be a time where you are unable to have them longterm, we will 100% take them back.

We currently have 2, not 3, as one sadly passed shortly after hatching. We don't know the genders.

Attachments

• IMG_5449.jpeg
    IMG_5449.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Sorry to hear that one didn’t make it. Yes, these ducks would be a regular part of our sustainable agriculture program where the students will learn how to care for and raise ducks. They will be school pets and loved by many. If you want to send me an email I can follow up with my phone number and we can talk more about our program. [email protected]

PS. Here's a photo of the two needing a home. We call them Quaximus Prime and Cracker lol They were born October 5th, have an indoor brooder, and have been around people and hand-raised ever since. Eating chick starter and getting spring water with niacin and electrolytes. Both Anconas hatched in our home with eggs purchased from a certified Ancona small farm hatchery in Indiana. We chose this breed because we heard how tame, friendly, and easy going these guys are.

Just want to make sure they go to a loving home and are given lots of love (and when they grow up, lots of peas!).
So cute.

Sorry to hear that one didn’t make it. Yes, these ducks would be a regular part of our sustainable agriculture program where the students will learn how to care for and raise ducks. They will be school pets and loved by many. If you want to send me an email I can follow up with my phone number and we can talk more about our program. [email protected]
I'll send you an email Tuesday and maybe we can schedule a call Friday when I'm home so my husband can hear, too. The ducks are his babies :)

Just posting a photo of tiny little Chia, who hatched at half the size of the other 3. He's my favorite. Hatched with what I think was splay leg (couldn't stand, walk, or sit up) The others climbed all over him and pecked at his spots, which would have been fine if he had the strength to pick himself back up. Hes been separated from them ever since. I wasnt sure he'd make it, and I didnt want him to pass alone. I've had him with me, caring for him 24/7 ever since, and yesterday he finally started walking on his own. Today, he started running (yes, he's traveling with me and the dog and has his own little mini brooder).

I wish I took a photo of him next to the biggest duckling, Quaximus Prime. The size difference is just insane! When we get home...

(We will be keeping Chia and the 4th duckling who's name is still TBD.)

Attachments

• 20231009_214511.jpg
    20231009_214511.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231009_151546.jpg
    20231009_151546.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Little Chia passed away this morning around 3:30am. He was doing so much better (other than a big squishy belly). Was running and eating and drinking... we were awake at 2am, and then at 3:30 I checked on him and he was gone.

I don't know what happened. I thought he was improving, especially being able to walk. But this little guy's belly was big (but not hard, just squishy).

Anyone have any ideas? He was half the size of the other ones and couldn't stand, walk, or sit up on his own for 2 days post hatch. I worked with him and cared for him indoors 24/7. Electrolytes, niacin, chick starter crumble (unmedicated)... He was fine an hour and a half before he passed.

I miss the little guy. He was 6 days old.

Attachments

• 20231008_144950.jpg
    20231008_144950.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom