baby bully?

saraem

Chirping
Apr 19, 2016
Some of you may remember that we recently added a new chick in with our 2 week olds, so now we have 3 almost-3-week-olds and 1 almost-1-week-old in the brooder. Well, the baby BR is beating all the older chicks up! She will follow them around and jump and peck at their eyes repeatedly. They peck her back on the top of her head but she isn't deterred. She really is a bully.

What could be causing this and is it normal pecking order stuff or something I can/should curtail?

They have quite a bit of space and adequate feed/water as well as a cooler part of the brooder.

The eye pecking only lasts a very short time thank God but mine were over it before a week old but since she's new maybe the eye pecking is "new" to her too. Believe it or not, the eye pecking is done more out of curiosity than meanness.eyes are shiny and interesting. Mine did it when they were a few days old. I have 7 female Barred Rocks, 1 Female Silver Laced Wyannadotte, 1Female Silver Penciled Rock, and 1 Female Golden Buff. They would be drawn to peck the eyes of the lighter chicks because they stand out more. Now mine are trying to establish a pecking order at 12 days old. The stand up to each other raise their heads high and flap their wings. Pecking may or may not be involved but no more eye pecking thank God. DO you think your chick could be establishing her place in her new flock? When she arrived the flock dynamic was probably already established and now she has to establish a place within the flock for herself. That's probably what's happening but to us it looks like bullying, to them it's just settling the flock dynamic. Once it's established and she finds her place, the behavior should likely settle down. If another bird is introduced it has to establish In the order too and the flock dynamic changes again. Everything someone is added, the pecking order or flock dynamic changes and must be established again. Hope this helps . Best wishes.

The eye pecking isn't something rare or common.But my chicks never do it.

And as long as I have been keeping chickens,they don't fully establish a order till at least 3 months old.Also usually that order doesn't stick once they have reached full maturity.

Thanks for all the advice. She also pecks us humans more than the other 3 (who basically don't peck at all) so I think she's a more fiesty/aggressive one in general, but hopefully the eye pecking will subside.

They're all sleeping cuddled up together now, so I have hopes they'll learn to get along eventually.

And to think I was worried about the big guys beating her up...

Read my article on dealing with a bully chick. It's linked down below under "Articles". You deal with it as an adult chicken in the flock would. Use your finger as your "beak" and poke it on the back each time you see it go for the eyes of another chick.

It will learn very quickly.

Thank you @azygous Great article and really helpful. I'm going to introduce some distractions tomorrow, and had already begun "disciplining" the bully out of instinct, but will continue anytime I witness the eye pecking.

For those curious, here's a video of what's happening:

0.jpg

Possibility she is pecking the beak to get food off of it?That's what my chicks did or do to my bantam hen

Nope, it's all about the eyes. With us she will peck and pull on your skin wherever there's a little freckle or birthmark. My daughter is now scared of a week old chick :/

Back
Top Bottom