Baby chick being pecked on neck

missy1971

Songster
Dec 27, 2016
Harris County Georgia
I got 5 2 week old chicks yesterday one was being pecked by the others pretty bad so I separated her, but her poor neck looks nasty. What can I put on it to help it heal? I have Blu-Kote, is she old enough for that?

Last edited:
If you have some plain triple antibiotic ointment, that will be good. Is it bleeding? The picture does not show it looking too bad. I would try to put her back into the brooder with the others as soon as possible.

If you have some plain triple antibiotic ointment, that will be good. Is it bleeding? The picture does not show it looking too bad. I would try to put her back into the brooder with the others as soon as possible.

Yes I have some, I'll do that. Its Not bleeding but the skin looks so raw...poor thing. I have a stuffed animal in with her, and she is finally getting some food and water. When would you suggest getting her back with the others?

my pecked Delaware is chirping like crazy, since i have her separated upstairs with me. Ive been putting antibiotic ointment on the wound but Im guessing it makes it look worse because of the texture. I understand that blu kote on a white chicken would give her a whole new look..lol, but is there anything else that will work like it>? or something i can make at home.
Im thinking if i can find something to treat her with, I can make an area in the coop to put her near the others, but separated so she doesnt get pecked more

suggestions advice?

A lot of people recommend keeping an injured bird separate until the wound I'd healed and no longer a bright red piece of temptation for the others to pick on. If the skin is recovering and you want to try bluekote, then reintroduce with supervision. If they go after the chick, out she goes again.

Can you make a barrier inside the brooder with some chicken wire so she can see the others? This may help calm her.

You could also dab Blue Kote or pick no more and any red spots with a qtip - this way you just target any redness without painting her blue.

If you are wanting make something at home (DIY) here's a recipe you can try http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/10/diy-anti-pick-antibacterial-blu-kote.html

I got 5 2 week old chicks yesterday one was being pecked by the others pretty bad so I separated her, but her poor neck looks nasty. What can I put on it to help it heal? I have Blu-Kote, is she old enough for that?

If you want to dry it up quick and put a scab on it try a product called Wonder Dust (found in feed stores in horse section). I have used this stuff on ugly chicken injuries and it works quick and no hen has come to any harm using it. Usually just a puff will do. In mean time put a hardwire screen barrier in the brooder if you can so it can see its mates. Maybe add another gentle chick in there with it for company. Make sure they will still get some heat.

Question. Was the chick scratching the head and started the injury? That would cause the other chicks to start pecking. If that is what you saw, scratching...give that chick some drops of vit E to the beak from a human capsule.

Last edited:
If you want to dry it up quick and put a scab on it try a product called Wonder Dust (found in feed stores in horse section). I have used this stuff on ugly chicken injuries and it works quick and no hen has come to any harm using it. Usually just a puff will do. In mean time put a hardwire screen barrier in the brooder if you can so it can see its mates. Maybe add another gentle chick in there with it for company. Make sure they will still get some heat. Question. Was the chick scratching the head and started the injury? That would cause the other chicks to start pecking. If that is what you saw, scratching...give that chick some drops of vit E to the beak from a human capsule.
I went ahead and cleaned it with saline, and permanently stained my white chick...i put blue kote on it with a q-tip and put her in a separate pen by her sibling and she is happy now

Quote: I went ahead and cleaned it with saline, and permanently stained my white chick...i put blue kote on it with a q-tip and put her in a separate pen by her sibling and she is happy now
gig.gif
LOL she won't be permanently stained.
smile.png
This little one will go through several mini molts, lose those feathers and look brand new. In fact they are plenty old enough to give them a plug of grass or dandelion so they can start nipping at things. You can also add a tub of dirt or dirt/sand in the brooder for them to take a dust bath in. The Blue Kote wears off fairly quickly on active birds.

Back
Top Bottom