Baby Chick Issue

This is a perfect example why only getting two chicks is not really the best idea. Three is much better, and that's also why there is a four chick minimum at TSC. If one of the four does early, you still have a flock of three. If something happens later to another, the remaining two still have each other.

I say this between gritted teeth because my DH just got five chicks from TSC and went back to the exact same location the next day, wanting to purchase just two more, and they made him buy four, even though it was literally the same kid who sold him the other five the day before. 🤦 So. Now we have 9 new chicks instead of 5 or 7. 🤷

Anyway, there are reasons, illustrated here. Can you go back to wilco and get a couple more? That way they can establish a bit of a new flock dynamic. I am not an expert, but I just don't think two birds is enough to support them in finding a balance and working out a true pecking order. Maybe the sisters would have been bosom buds, or maybe you would have gotten lucky with this newbie, but right now this current dynamic between the two is either going to sort itself out just fine, or else be a thorn in your side you are constantly monitoring until something shifts.

Back
Top Bottom