Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

no wing tip

I want to find out if you could tell what sex they are by their wings. I have some with no wing tip, and some with a long wing tip! Have u checked your babys can u tell what sex they are?
Ours are all pullets, that's what we ordered so I'm sure hoping they are. I don't know that wings is a good indicator for gender or not. I'll look at them later and see if they appear any different than yours. Ours have solid black heads, but I know that doesn't define gender, only breed.

New Chicks!!!! 3 day old Blue Americaunas

...and my 3 week old Frizzle with my Silkie Roo, Prince. Prince think's he's the little guys Mama, the two are inseparable!

Last edited:
What kind of chick is this? I just bought one that looks like this from my local supply store but all it said was "Bantam."
There are tons of different types of Bantams, and most breeds of chickens that are standard size can also be bred to be bantams.
Bantam just means they are smaller.
The chicks in my pics are blue Americaunas so they are full size.
My silkies are bantams.

I'm not too sure on all the breeds since the store I bought them from was pretty generic in their labeling, so if anyone wants to help me out, that would be great!

I have 3 pullets of whatever breed this is:

8 straight run Barred Rocks and 6 of the Buff Orpingtons pullets (I think that's what they are??)

Here's the first round I bought: my 8 straight run Barred Rocks, 6 Buff Orpington pullets (?), 3 _?_ pullets (like in the first pic), and 4 Pekins (two different ages. The bright yellow ones are the littler ducks.)

Newest little batch I bought. 2 Straight run Bantams: 1 White Silkie and 1 _?_ Bantam

Same ?? Bantam that fell asleep in my hand. :)

All of my last little batch: 1 Rouen duck, 1 Leghorn pullet (bigger white one with black spots), the 1 Silkie, and the _?_Bantam.

My Babies are about two to three weeks old.. when do I need to start reducing the heat of the light ? or can I take the light off now? also when are they old enough for me to put them outside in their starter coop ?
Any thoughts? :)

You should reduce the heat from light weekly.
By 2-3 weeks mine are usually off it, unless it's winter (we did winter chicks once).
We got a frizzle chick Easter weekend and moved I outside 2 days ago with my other chickens (my silkie roo is convinced it's his baby haha)

There are variants as to how warm it is where you live (we're in the south), and if you already have a lot of larger hens out there that will be mean.
Usually 3-4 weeks is when mine are moved outside. I've been told before 3 weeks chicks are unable to maintain their own body temperature.

Back
Top Bottom