Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

GREAT picture with the silkie in the snow!!
love.gif

Do ducks need grit? And how should I give them eggs? Boiled or raw?
I think all birds need grit, it serves as the bird's 'teeth'. However I believe egg is easily enough digested they won't need grit for that.

Last edited:
Here are our new babies who arrived yesterday! (Egg, courtesy of my Black Copper Maran, to show size and just because. ;) )

Blue Ameraucana. Thought she was going to be black at first, because she seems very dark, but the little feather tips coming in on her wings are blue.

Splash Ameraucana. White wing tips... has to be splash!

Easter Egger. I'm really hoping this isn't a roo. We had one with this coloring a few years ago who ended up being a roo. This chick is also the largest of the five. On the plus side, her (please be a her!) wings are the most feathered out and supposedly girls feather out sooner than boys, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lavender Orpington. Very sweet and bold. She was a substitute for a Golden Cuckoo Maran that never hatched. While I'm disappointed in not getting the Maran, I had really wanted a Lav. Orp when I placed my order, but they were sold out. They must have had a good hatch though because they had them on the substitute list. Very pleased with her!

Speckled Sussex. Tiniest of the five, but doing very well!

Thank you so much! I'm just so **** stressed from today and so worried all
Of my birds are going to die... It's an awful feeling.

How is it going now? Any good changes?

I know the feeling. I lost one, well had to put her down, just this past week. It was hard and sad and she had be so worried beforehand.

How is it going now?  Any good changes?  

I know the feeling.  I lost one, well had to put her down, just this past week.  It was hard and sad and she had be so worried beforehand.

What was wrong with your baby? I am keeping a close eye on them. I am thinking ours drank himself to death. When I looked in there. He was in the brooder on the opposite side of the waterer, dead. There was a puddle completely surrounding him and he was lying in it the whole 10 hours I was at work... I don't see anything bd with the other ducklings. But I switched back to the 1qt waterer instead of keeping the 3.5 gallon one in there.

What was wrong with your baby? I am keeping a close eye on them. I am thinking ours drank himself to death. When I looked in there. He was in the brooder on the opposite side of the waterer, dead. There was a puddle completely surrounding him and he was lying in it the whole 10 hours I was at work... I don't see anything bd with the other ducklings. But I switched back to the 1qt waterer instead of keeping the 3.5 gallon one in there.

I have a 1 quart waterer too... Probably a safe choice for you, and definitely will help you not worry when you are gone.

My little Goldie had a slipped tendon. Where her leg/hock joint tendon slips out of place and rendered her leg useless. We tried to pop it back into place and wrap it, brace it, and let it heal. But it was getting worse and more swollen, and she was spending most of her day puffing and closing her eyes. So we decided no more suffering and my husband culled her. It was a hard decision and yet a peaceful one knowing we had done everything we could.

My other chicks are thriving and doing great! 4 weeks and just about ready for their eviction notice! Haha.

Here are our new babies who arrived yesterday! (Egg, courtesy of my Black Copper Maran, to show size and just because. ;) ) Blue Ameraucana. Thought she was going to be black at first, because she seems very dark, but the little feather tips coming in on her wings are blue. Splash Ameraucana. White wing tips... has to be splash! Easter Egger. I'm really hoping this isn't a roo. We had one with this coloring a few years ago who ended up being a roo. This chick is also the largest of the five. On the plus side, her (please be a her!) wings are the most feathered out and supposedly girls feather out sooner than boys, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Lavender Orpington. Very sweet and bold. She was a substitute for a Golden Cuckoo Maran that never hatched. While I'm disappointed in not getting the Maran, I had really wanted a Lav. Orp when I placed my order, but they were sold out. They must have had a good hatch though because they had them on the substitute list. Very pleased with her! Speckled Sussex. Tiniest of the five, but doing very well!
Wow! So cute!!!! I love the SS. Super teeny and precious. Where did you order them from?

Back
Top Bottom