Baby Chick Pictures!!!!! POST!

Since I have been hitting my head against the wall with bumble foot in our hen, I thought I would post some pictures of our turkey hen with her babies...At least there is ONE bright spot in this hell we are having to deal with!

What cuties!

Bumblefoot is difficult to deal with. We've had several heavier breed chickens have it and even a lighter breed because she insists on flying over the 6 foot fence every day to lay her egg. Have you triedthe surgery or are you doing other things first?

Chicksurreal,

Yes, I did the surgery on July 24th..She went broody the next day and then ran into complications. I broke down and took her to the vet today, where the vet prescribed a new antibiotic and instructed me to soak her foot every 2 hours in Betadine/water mixture. I don't want to lose her because she is a wonderful hen and our first momma who went broody and took wonderful care of her babies. It has been very hard, and I would have pulled the eggs at the start, had I known this would have happened. The Vet said that the Tylan I was giving her was Ok, and dealt with the bumble foot, but that there was another infection that came on top of it. She is a buff orpington and 7 and 1/2 pounds. I don't know if she will make it or not, but I am at least trying.

Thank you for the complement about the picture. I am so excited for my turkey hen...she has been a wonderful momma!

Athenasowl

I understand what you are going through because I too have a chicken with bumblefoot. Mine is a production red named Riley. She is 2years old and I one of my favorite chickens.
She had bumblefoot on one foot with an abcess over top. I tried putting antibiotic cream and soaking her foot but that didn't help. So I decided to punture the abcess and drain the fluid and also get the plug outta her foot. She sat still the whole precedure and after a week or so, her abcess has gone down and the bottom of her foot has almost healed. I think mine will turn out fine . I hope yours makes it.

Here she is riding my lamb haha.

Back
Top Bottom