Baby Chick with missing toenail

Can you tell how she lost her toenail? Was she born that way, or was it chipped off in an accident or a fight?

If it was broken off, it should grow back as long as it didn't get pulled out completely. It will take a while, but she should be just fine.
smile.png
I have an adult hen that has no toenail on one of her toes, just a little stub. She's doing great, and doesn't seem to miss it in the least!

I'm not sure how she lost it but it is gone completely. There is no swelling and no blood so I'm wondering if it was like that in the egg. Seems odd to me though because I've handled the chicks and this is the very first time I've noticed it. She seems to be just fine, I was just curious if it would grow back if she lost it after hatching because I have seen those adult chickens nubby toes. Thanks for the response!

Quote:
I'm happy to hear that she's doing well. As for the toenail growing back, I think only time will tell.

I have two chickens that came to me minus the claw as day olds. They have never grown one so I think they were born that way not an injury. It doesn't seem to matter any to them.

I have one pullet that came to me as a day-old chick missing 2 toenails on one foot. One of them has a little stumpy nail now, and the other toe has nothing. The don't seem to bother her, though, and she can still roost and scratch just fine.

I have a black sex link with both of her middle toenails missing. She has not had middle toe nails since she was a day old, and now she is 5 weeks old...I think she was born that way.

I recently purchased some hatchery Delaware chicks and one is missing 4 of her toenails she seems to be doing fine without them so far. Will it effect her later when she scratches around the yard?

Back
Top Bottom