baby chick with something red hanging out of her bottom

Christi326

Chirping
Apr 30, 2019
North Carolina
I have some baby chicks and I noticed one of them acting different than usual. She is mostly just sleeping and she isn't moving much at all. So I looked her over and she has a small red thing hanging out of her bottom and it looked like poop around it. We got a wet paper towel and wet the poop so it would come off easier and not pull her insides out. The red thing is pulsing and I do not know what to do. I do not want her to die. I looked at somethings on here and it seems like it might be prolapse. But she is to little to lay eggs and I also saw one person said you can use honey instead of prep H. Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

It could really be anything. I wouldn't know what to do either in your situation. If the other chicks peck at the chick, consider separating her for a little while so she can recover without being hurt more. I would normally recommend continuing to clean her butt, but you may make things worse. Hopefully, she recovers.

Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the chick and it’s bottom? Can you identify the vent? It does sound like a prolapsed vent. Honey is good to use, but just keep the red tissue moist so that it doesn’t dry out. Make sure this is not the umbilicus or navel.

The baby chick died last night. I am new to having chickens so I would not know how to identify the vent. Thank you so much for your help though. I am glad I have a place that will help me as I go on with these chickens. We have 30ish chicks at the moment.

I am so very sorry for your loss. For future reference, I'm attaching the following 'butt shot' to help differentiate the vent from the navel. Sadly, this may be information that you may need in the future if you're gonna raise chicks... This image is with the chicks BACK facing upwards (belly facing down).
chickbellybuttonvsvent.jpg

I am so very sorry for your loss. For future reference, I'm attaching the following 'butt shot' to help differentiate the vent from the navel. Sadly, this may be information that you may need in the future if you're gonna raise chicks... This image is with the chicks BACK facing upwards (belly facing down).View attachment 1759269
Hi I also am new to raising chickens and I just had my second batch out of the incubator I also have a baby chick that has a red little bubble coming out of its bottom and according to the picture you posted it's it's belly button. Do you know what I can do for this?

Hi I also am new to raising chickens and I just had my second batch out of the incubator I also have a baby chick that has a red little bubble coming out of its bottom and according to the picture you posted it's it's belly button. Do you know what I can do for this?
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your chick and her belly?

A bubble coming out sounds like an unabsorbed egg sac.

Back
Top Bottom