Baby chicks have arrived

Yes! They look like boys at a frat party, passed out on the floor! :lau

Please post pictures! We love chick pics! Especially me, because I won't get mine for almost 3 months, so I'm living vicariously through pictures here on BYC.
OK here ya go!
Yes! They look like boys at a frat party, passed out on the floor! :lau

Please post pictures! We love chick pics! Especially me, because I won't get mine for almost 3 months, so I'm living vicariously through pictures here on BYC.
Pics!

Also, what breeds were your extra 3 chicks? What a wonderful surprise!
Barred rock, buff orpington, and golden comet. Sorry for the delay in responding, but we had some chick health issues.

Attachments

• 1677268098531.png
    1677268098531.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 1677268193623.png
    1677268193623.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
Well, sad news. Our black laced golden Wyandotte baby died. She was not active or moving after the last egg/nutridrench feeding, and when she got under the heat panel the rest of the flock must have piled on top of her and smothered her. This is a sad situation, but we have two more BLGW chicks that, at this time, appear healthy. Before, with the heat lamp, they could get under both the lamp and panel. Now, the remaining 16 crowd under the panel (12" x 19"), spilling our from under it. We have another panel, which I may put in there for another heat location. For first time chick parents, this has been an emotional journey.😢

Well, the big day came yesterday when we got a call from the post office that our baby chicks had arrived. We ordered 15 female chicks from Cackle Hatcheries, 3 each of barred rocks, buff orpington, black laced golden wyandotte, cinnamon queen, and golden comets . To our surprise, we had 18 delivered. Many thanks to Cackle Hatchery and the USPO for their speedy delivery. The were hatched Wednesday morning, the 22nd, and the PO email said they would be delivered by Saturday the 25. Cackle had a note on their shipment email that said the deliveries were usually quicker than the PO email noted, and thankfully we got a call yesterday at 1:00 PM that they had arrived. That's less than 24 hours after hatching! Great work Cackle and PO. All were very healthy, and were eating and drinking immediately. We first gave them a sip of water, followed by a sip of nutri-drench, then another sip of water in their brooder. They gorged on their chick starter we are feeding them for about 5 hours, which came from New Country Organics. They have a plain water drinker, and one filled with Save-A-Chick electrolyte. They seem to favor the plain water. So, initially they stuffed their beaks for about 5 hours, and then they all passed out under the heat lamp for that first nap. We are very pleased with all that's happened so far.
Hopefully all goes right with mine too. They are coming from the same Hatchery but to n.y..Im so excited 😊

Well, sad news. Our black laced golden Wyandotte baby died. She was not active or moving after the last egg/nutridrench feeding, and when she got under the heat panel the rest of the flock must have piled on top of her and smothered her. This is a sad situation, but we have two more BLGW chicks that, at this time, appear healthy. Before, with the heat lamp, they could get under both the lamp and panel. Now, the remaining 16 crowd under the panel (12" x 19"), spilling our from under it. We have another panel, which I may put in there for another heat location. For first time chick parents, this has been an emotional journey.😢
It will be ok keep moving forward with the rest.

Hopefully all goes right with mine too. They are coming from the same Hatchery but to n.y..Im so excited 😊
So what kind are you getting? Our most healthy and thriving are the golden comets, cinnamon queens, and buff orpingtons. The black laced golden wyandottes and barred rocks were much smaller and weaker, and we lost 2 of each. Hope you have a healthy flock!

Back
Top Bottom