baby Chicks have mites :(

Just as you would if lice or mites where on something else, dust the chickens with sevin once a week. Keep doing this until they appear gone. Maybe do it more afterwards as well. You can never be too careful! Other things you can do to kill lice or mites is by spraying the coop down with a high-pressure hose, and then pouring boiling water into the cracks and joints.
Afterwards, clean with dehydrated lime (wash thoroughly before letting your chickens back in). Wait until everything is dry, then dust with Pestene powder or diatomaceous earth.
I hope I have helped.

First, mites or lice?

With only three birds, BATHE them in a dog flea/tick shampoo that contains an Insect Growth Regulator. The label will say that it kills flea eggs, and that it lasts about a month.

If the Adams did not work, then it was likely expired, or you did not spray the right areas or enough; one time should last at least a week. For the babies, you can use sevin or permethrin dust; much safer for them than are the mites which will rapidly kill them. You could shampoo the babies, too, but I would be worried about them getting cold or water in their faces. Ivermectin pour-on is also effective at killing lice and mites. If you use it on babies, dilute it 50:50 with a light oil such as body oil or mineral oil.

Yes, the pests can spread to your other coop. Lice will not be an issue with mammals; the types of lice that infest birds are different from those that infest mammals. Mites can be less choosey, as are fleas, mosquitoes and other pests.

Hi! Can you explain to me how to use the Ivermectin for baby chicks? I think they have mites, because they can't stop scratching themselves!!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom