Baby Chicks with Legs Straight Back

rainaj77

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
I recently found a nest of eggs not being sat on that the kids (teenagers) had missed when checking. I want sure for how long, and decided to try and incubate since a couple of the eggs appeared to be about a week into development. (It was INCREDIBLY hot here this summer and these eggs were on an upper shelf in our coop/barn so probably had started just from that! I watched for a couple days to make sure no one was sitting.)

Anyways, I actually ended up with about a 50% hatch rate for these eggs that were between 1-3 weeks old and abandoned when found. But two of the chicks have had severe issues. They both never seemed to get past the stage when they first hatch and just lie there. Legs straight (not splayed) back, toes curled to the point it looks like they wouldn't be able to stand anyways. Eyes aren't opening, they aren't drying off whereas the other chicks did. Both were the only black ones to hatch (pretty sure they are an Orpington hen/silkie rooster cross). The one born two days ago we had to put down, and it looks like this one will be too. First one also had what looked like it's intestines coming out of it. But what would cause them to be like this? Especially since i have six very healthy and vibrant chicks from the same incubator?

Last edited:
I want to add also that our chickens are completely free range but also get fed layer feed once a day. We live near West Palm Beach, FL. Hence the heat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom