Baby Chicks with Worms

Interesting pics. Were they moving around squirming like a inch worm when they first came out? They look like tapeworm segments, which takes a different wormer to get rid of. If it were round worm they would be longer, and cecal worms usually dont cause problems from what I read. The lifecycle of worms isn't very long so even know its rare, I am reading lots of things on the internet about chicks with worms, especially the ones raised organically.

Mine have had some very watery poops and are shedding intestinal lining but it looks nothing like a worm, looks like a pink lump of tissue, I still think they have roundworms, they are due for another dose tomorrow then we will see if that works. two of my chicks are not growing feathers yet, but are little butterballs, and the other two are almost fully feathered which makes me wonder if they are different ages, which would explain why one pooped out an adult worm.

Here is a couple of helpful articles I found:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/439/treatment-of-intestinal-worms-in-broiler-breeders/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/parasitic-worms-in-chickens.html

Interesting pics. Were they moving around squirming like a inch worm when they first came out? They look like tapeworm segments, which takes a different wormer to get rid of. If it were round worm they would be longer, and cecal worms usually dont cause problems from what I read. The lifecycle of worms isn't very long so even know its rare, I am reading lots of things on the internet about chicks with worms, especially the ones raised organically.

Mine have had some very watery poops and are shedding intestinal lining but it looks nothing like a worm, looks like a pink lump of tissue, I still think they have roundworms, they are due for another dose tomorrow then we will see if that works. two of my chicks are not growing feathers yet, but are little butterballs, and the other two are almost fully feathered which makes me wonder if they are different ages, which would explain why one pooped out an adult worm.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/439/treatment-of-intestinal-worms-in-broiler-breeders/

Tapeworm segments don't look like that.

^ This is poop with tapeworm segments.

^ This is poop with roundworms.

If your chicks are pooping intestinal lining, are you noticing any other symptoms?

Lethargy, hunching, not eating or drinking?

Just curious.

MrsB

"Pink lump of tissue" IS shed intestinal lining. Cecal worms DO cause problems as they can be host to a protozoa that causes histomoniasis which is deadly to turkeys.
Here's what cecal worms look like:

When I first saw this(Pictured below), all I had on hand was diatomateous earth so I gave them that with their crumbs over night untill I could get to the store. ( since I started them out with a pyrex glass dish for a food bowl, I really enjoyed seeing them dust bathing in the DE, it was way too cute) Mine seemed healthier and less lethergic when I wormed them two weeks ago, but now have a little diarrhea and sleeping more than they used to and having a hard time growing feathers it seems. I just prepared their dose of Wayzine for tomorrow so hopefully they get better. This is what one of my chicks pooped out at 3 weeks old.(looks like a round worm). one of mine has those long poops like the one in the pic
  • chicksgalore posted but no white 2- 3" worms.

The reason I asked her if they were wiggling around in the stool is because that's what tapeworms do, they wiggle around looking for their next warm host, formally my dog blue, who had them and we treated with tapeworm tabs.They will also come out of the animals rear on their own between poos and just wander around.
sickbyc.gif
These are only worms that gross me out!

I think if they were cecal worms, they wouldn't be so bad they are excreting them till they are older but I have no experience with chickens having worms, until a couple weeks ago I thought it didn't occur much, so I am going on all the poultry websites I am reading.
"Cecal worm, chicken parasite

Cecal worms, also called heterakis worms, reside in the ceca of chickens. They’re very common and generally don’t do much harm. The main worry with cecal worms is their ability to carry blackhead parasites, which are deadly for turkeys but rarely cause disease in chickens."
"http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

The life history of this parasite is similar to that of the common roundworm. The eggs are produced in the ceca and pass in the feces. They reach the infective form in about two weeks. In cool weather, this may take longer. The eggs are very resistant to environmental conditions and will remain viable for long periods."

chicksgalore said her chicks are only a week old.

Less than a week actually.

The chicks are all acting/looking fine, eating/drinking, sleeping, chirping. I have just never noticed poop like this in any of our chicks before and I think I would've noticed. I'm thinking of seeing what the vet says it is; my littles are wanting to hold them but I won't let them till I know what's going on.

And, none were moving. All dead. They looked kind of lumpy, like there were chunks of stuff inside them, like sausage links. Sorry for the graphics.

All yesterday, nothing. I was convinced it was something else. Maybe stringy poop? Intestinal lining? I'm not sure what that looks like but it would actually be a relief if that's what it was! Then today, I saw them in the water again! Why are they hitting the water! So, here are the pictures, in all their disgusting glory... H
Are these the 'worms' that you are talking about thst look like gross sausages?

Back
Top Bottom