New chick something going on with foot.

KimKat33

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Colorado
Hello, I just brought home baby chicks, got them in the brooder and took care of any pasty butts...

However I noticed this chick has a swollen foot? These chicks are only a few days old from the local feed store.
1000005323.jpg

Attachments

• 20240307_193542.jpg
    20240307_193542.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240307_193539.jpg
    20240307_193539.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
How cold is it?

It honesty looks like Frostbite.

Could be the foot got caught in something and was damaged and what we now see is pus?

@coach723 may have better suggestions.

If she were mine. I'd soak the foot in a diluted Chlorhexidine. Let the foot dry or pat dry. Wrap the foot with vet wrap - oh my those tiny feet, goodness that's a struggle!
I'd want the foot to stay dry, I wouldn't put ointment on the foot just yet and wait to see what comes of the yellow patchy material if that starts to erupt and come out or dries up.

For me, I've found that ointment on wrapped feet seems to make the skin/tissue mushy and it doesn't heal quite as well. But it's a must to soak daily and rewrap the feet.

It does look somewhat like frostbite, it could also possibly be burned. I know sometimes they use heat plates that go under the birds rather than over (they stand on them) and I have heard of burns from them getting too hot. I've no idea how they've been kept, so just putting that out there. It's also possible it's an injury, possible from being crushed somehow during transport or handling. So now all you can do is try to keep it clean and dry, daily soaks can help with pain and swelling. Try to make sure it can heal up without any further damage. I would be very careful about anything else, you don't want to make it worse. Wrapping the foot could help, but be very, very careful to not do it too tight. And I would check it daily, watch for any signs of worsening infection, loss of blood flow or necrosis of tissue. Those feet are so tiny, it does make it a challenge. Also make sure the chick is completely dry after soaking, so that it doesn't get chilled.

Hello everyone, I have an update.

I am not sure what happened to the chick at its time at the feed store. It wasn't frostbite as this has been an unusually warm winter - and it was not a burn as the store used lamps and they are positioned pretty high.

I ended up soaking the foot in some warm water to see what was happening to the yellow spot as I did think that was a pus pocket. Upon further examination it turns out the entire foot was holding in pus and liquid - kind of like a cow hoof when there is damage.

I believe there was a massive infection so she has been getting daily bandage changes and iodine baths. I have put some triple antibiotic cream on the past two nights as well. I will post updated photos here shortly.
It does seem as if her foot is slowly starting to get better - the inflammation has decreased as well.

Poor chick I've never seen anything like this maybe in transit or at the store it was injured. Hopefully the chick will get much better and you have a good eye to work on the chick. I hope she still keeps getting better each day.

Back
Top Bottom