Baby dove fell from nest! Not visibly hurt! Momma looks worried... Need advice ASAP!

FluffySilkie

Songster
Sep 11, 2020
This sweet little baby fell from his nest we didn’t see him, but my friend saw him on the ground as she was walking into the driveway, we brought him inside and put him under a lamp... he has no visible injuries and looks fine! He is acting normal, has his head up and also tucked in at times. I need advice as to what to feed him, how to water him, how to maintain proper heating, etc.

image.jpg

His momma looks concerned she was perched on the tip of the roof. She left a little while ago... we couldn’t locate the nest, no other chicks were with him... it broke my heart to see her looking... we showed her that we have him to put her mind at ease.... if possible.

This sweet little baby fell from his nest we didn’t see him, but my friend saw him on the ground as she was walking into the driveway, we brought him inside and put him under a lamp... he has no visible injuries and looks fine! He is acting normal, has his head up and also tucked in at times. I need advice as to what to feed him, how to water him, how to maintain proper heating, etc.

View attachment 2598436

His momma looks concerned she was perched on the tip of the roof. She left a little while ago... we couldn’t locate the nest, no other chicks were with him... it broke my heart to see her looking... we showed her that we have him to put her mind at ease.... if possible.
How sweet of you. Believe it or not, this little guy is ready to be out there on his own. They leave the nest before they can fly. But he looks like he's is simply a two day growth period before flight.

And, it is illegal to have a mourning dove like yours in ones possession as they are protected under the migratory bird treaty act. Again, I know you were just trying to help, but this guy is well on his way to be an adult, on his own.

Put him back outside, better yet, put him back in the tree he was under. Doves don't have nest as you would look for, it's a jerry rigged pile of sticks.
We did that, only for a short while, it is DEADLY cold where we are we recently received a cold front and a lot of wind... our guess is that the little guy got blown off of his nest.

How sweet of you. Believe it or not, this little guy is ready to be out there on his own. They leave the nest before they can fly. But he looks like he's is simply a two day growth period before flight.

And, it is illegal to have a mourning dove like yours in ones possession as they are protected under the migratory bird treaty act. Again, I know you were just trying to help, but this guy is well on his way to be an adult, on his own.
Alright! We will put him outside, I was worried because where we are, cars come and go a lot and the cold and wind is very strong... we thought he was a different dove species. Thank you!

And, it is illegal to have a mourning dove like yours in ones possession as they are protected under the migratory bird treaty act.
I read that... but it says you cannot keep it as a pet/domestic animal, we do not intend to keep this little guy we just want to hold on to him until at least either the cold dies down or in the morning when we can properly see him off and watch for cars, he was on the concrete in our driveway hopping around when they found him. He seemed hurt 😕

It is a literal dark and cold, windy night, we don’t want him to get hurt on the busy road, or freeze to death.

We will release him as soonest chance we get.

Any advice is very appreciated, Thank You! :hugs

I read that... but it says you cannot keep it as a pet/domestic animal, we do not intend to keep this little guy we just want to hold on to him until at least either the cold dies down or in the morning when we can properly see him off and watch for cars, he was on the concrete in our driveway hopping around when they found him. He seemed hurt 😕

It is a literal dark and cold, windy night, we don’t want him to get hurt on the busy road, or freeze to death.

We will release him as soonest chance we get.

Any advice is very appreciated, Thank You! :hugs
You do what seems best. Although illegal by the books, it appears neither option is a good one. You choose the best choice for the bird. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom