Baby duckling newbie help!

I'm in Florida if that makes any sort of difference in types of ducks that might live here?

The wood duckling pictures do look like him a lot

I'm nearly certain it isn't a Rouen. I'm leaning toward wood duck as well.

He should eat every time he's awake. I'd moisten the food & add a tiny bit of Karo syrup or sugar to his water to encourage him to be up, about & eating.

Omg just had a major scare. Was holding him on the couch just now, because he was crying. And he was just sleeping on my chest. So I looked up videos of wood ducklings on YouTube on my phone because I was curious.. and found a video of them jumping from their nest and chirping.
All of a sudden he jumps awake, starts crazy chirping and jumped over the back of the couch. it all Happened so fast! I went into immediate panic mode trying to get him from behind the couch...and he was picnicking. Then I couldn't see him. So I played the video again...and I heard him chirping...and got him to come out close enough to me for Me to grab him.

I feel like such a bad mommy :( he is now snuggled up with a small stuffed animal, probably petrified

And how deep of water is safe to be in there with him?

I use an old (thoroughly cleaned) sour cream container. Cut a hole in the lid and fill the container with water. They need water deep enough to dunk their entire head. That's how they clean out their nares (nostrils) and eyes. Don't let him in any water without supervision. They can quickly become chilled and aren't good at regulating their body temps until they're fully feathered.

Ok I had to switch to desktop mode. Hope it worked now!

Definitely a wood duck!

@RavynFallen
Could this be one of the wood ducks you guys are doing talking about in the other thread?

Yup! :thumbsup

Ahh they have to be dropped???
1f62d.png
lol

No, since it was found on the ground already then it dropped from the nest earlier...

Omg just had a major scare. Was holding him on the couch just now, because he was crying. And he was just sleeping on my chest. So I looked up videos of wood ducklings on YouTube on my phone because I was curious.. and found a video of them jumping from their nest and chirping.
All of a sudden he jumps awake, starts crazy chirping and jumped over the back of the couch. it all Happened so fast! I went into immediate panic mode trying to get him from behind the couch...and he was picnicking. Then I couldn't see him. So I played the video again...and I heard him chirping...and got him to come out close enough to me for Me to grab him.

I feel like such a bad mommy :( he is now snuggled up with a small stuffed animal, probably petrified

Recognized the sounds... wood ducks are hard to raise alone and by hand... I think @attimus mentioned whistling to encourage it??

Definitely a wood duck!
Yup! :thumbsup
No, since it was found on the ground already then it dropped from the nest earlier...
Recognized the sounds... wood ducks are hard to raise alone and by hand... I think @attimus mentioned whistling to encourage it??
I whistle to my wood duck all the time. They are a very vocal breed and have a range of sounds. It is most likely a woodduck from eye pattern and bill shape as well as size. The little one is perfectly fine falling, mine jumped from my shoulder while standing often. We did form a very close bond as she spent most of her duckling life on my shoulder. I did keep a pet in her cage but like I said, shoulder. Make sure her brooder is warm enough. I also put nutridrench in the water to help with a little extra boost til she started feeding. You can also pick at the feed when she's watching while you whistle.

Back
Top Bottom