Baby ducklings getting too hot

Duckmomofnow2

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
I have four Pekin ducklings that I have had for a week now and I have been using a heating lamp for them. They are getting too hot. I adjusted the height of the lamp and I even moved them next to the lamp. This lamp has no temperature adjustment and I have moved it as far up as it can go. One of my ducklings is getting too hot. Can anyone recommend what else I can use for them?

I have four Pekin ducklings that I have had for a week now and I have been using a heating lamp for them. They are getting too hot. I adjusted the height of the lamp and I even moved them next to the lamp. This lamp has no temperature adjustment and I have moved it as far up as it can go. One of my ducklings is getting too hot. Can anyone recommend what else I can use for them?
Is there a cool side to the brooder? The lamp should only be on one end of their space, the other end should be cooler

I don't have ducks, just chickens, but I've always used a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. Given enough space, won't they move away from the heat source if they're too hot?
I concur with the heat plate. Mine is from K&H and still going strong after 4 years. It has worked out so well for my chicks and ducklings. The direct heat mimics the feeling of momma sitting over them and it’s much more stress free. My babies never get hot with it.

I don't have ducks, just chickens, but I've always used a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp. Given enough space, won't they move away from the heat source if they're too hot?
They do move but they still seem to get hot. We have them in our bathroom because our two dogs get too excited around them. I will look into those instead. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom