Baby gosling unable to walk or keep its head up

miskyst

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2023
Northern California
Hi, I have this gosling hatched yesterday. It hatched the fourth day since the first internal pip. I actually had to help it hatch.

The baby has been sleeping and rolling around the brooder ever since it hatched.
It is not able to walk or even drag itself by feet like my newborn chicks did.
I’ve seen people suggest giving supplements, but my gosling has not eaten nor drunk even with me hand feeding it (dropping water on its beak and trying to stuff some crumbs into its mouth ik it’s kinda brutal but yeah)
F0DF68D2-F801-49F4-A55C-CE95DD6B6B85.jpeg

It also has something like an organ (umbilical cord???) sticking out its butt with blood on it. (Sorry I dont have a good photo)
FDC0BCB8-AC0A-4A53-ABAB-2BB64B37BDD1.jpeg

@KathiQuacks any thoughts? Or know other duck folks on here?

I don't have ducks, but from the little I've learned on here I would think a niacin deficiency, that would be a place to start searching on BYC anyway until someone more qualified than me joins in!

@KathiQuacks any thoughts? Or know other duck folks on here?

I don't have ducks, but from the little I've learned on here I would think a niacin deficiency, that would be a place to start searching on BYC anyway until someone more qualified than me joins in!
Hi thank you for replying. But it’s a geese!

And how do you solve niacin deficiency?

Hi thank you for replying. But it’s a geese!

And how do you solve niacin deficiency?
Oh goodness, I'm sorry, that's what I get for replying while tired :oops:

Nutritional yeast is a good source of Niacin. I'm not sure how you'd get some into it when it's not eating at all.

I *just* got a couple of goslings last week, so not much experience there myself. If I were to be brutally honest, he may just not be strong enough or have something wrong with him.

That being said, babies that are assisted usually take a bit longer to get on their feet. But it's been a couple of days now so... Keep offering water with electrolytes in it (like nutri-drench) and keep your fingers crossed.

Sorry I couldn't be more help or more optimistic.

A little update:
We tried to feed it some porridge just now, it took a few drops of water. It did not struggle or pip like before. Put it back into the brooder and let it rest.

This is our first time incubating goose (I heard that they’re hard to incubate) honestly i feel like we didn’t pay enough attention to the incubator. This gosling is the only one that hatched out of 5.

Taking this experience as a lesson, i will def pay more attention to the goslings (although the next time we incubate geese will not be soon)

We’re supposing our gosling is not gonna live long (with a little bit of hope praying for a miracle ;)) Thanks for all your lovely replies!! :love
BYC is such a wonderful community.

A little update:
We tried to feed it some porridge just now, it took a few drops of water. It did not struggle or pip like before. Put it back into the brooder and let it rest.

This is our first time incubating goose (I heard that they’re hard to incubate) honestly i feel like we didn’t pay enough attention to the incubator. This gosling is the only one that hatched out of 5.

Taking this experience as a lesson, i will def pay more attention to the goslings (although the next time we incubate geese will not be soon)

We’re supposing our gosling is not gonna live long (with a little bit of hope praying for a miracle ;)) Thanks for all your lovely replies!! :love
BYC is such a wonderful community.
We all started somewhere! I'm still learning as well, and obviously don't have ducks, or geese :oops:

And I agree, BYC is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom