baby just hatched and is bleeding a bit

momiphouph

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
our second chick just hatched and the first chick was "helping" it out of the shell. It basically scratched at the shell a little. Baby #2 has a bleeding belly, should I be concerned? Or is this normal? My kids are concerned and I really just want to know what to tell them. The other chick is climbing on it and is really excited to have a playmate. #1 hatched last night and we didnt have any blood. I know not to open the bator but just wanted to know if this is anything to worry about? Thanks! This is our first hatch.

Is it on the lower abdomen? If so, what you may be seeing is a bit of bleeding where the yolk sac wasn't completely absorbed. It should go away in a day or so with no lasting effects.

So long as the baby is up and eating/drinking soon, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good luck, and congrats on your first hatch!

Whew! Thanks! yes it is the lower abdomen although it does look like it has either stopped or has slowed. Im thinking we need to name this one OOPS! So far it has managed to gets its wing and foot stuck but was able to get undone. But made us all very nervous for a while there... Funny watching these little guys run around in there. lol Thank you again!

If it is still bledding, sprinkle some flour on it, it will stop the bleeding. I learned this after I helped a duck out of its shell. Now it is the bigger than all my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom