Baby lovebird eggs and chicks help?

Paige14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
My pair of lovebirds laid an egg
smile.png
! I am not planning on hand feeding the chicks but I want to bring the chicks inside the house. The lovebirds' cage is outside and I prefer to keep the tamed lovebirds inside so they get used to people. The parents are not tamed and are more comfortable outside than inside the house. I would love to have tamed lovebirds. At what age can I bring the chicks inside and give them the regular food such as fruits and seeds ect. And when should I start to handling them and interacting with the babies? Should they be in a certain room temperature? The parents had chicks in recent years before I got them and I was told they are good parents. I am new to baby lovebirds and I have had experience with other hatching chicks but never a parrot. Thanks!

I am new to BYC but not new to breeding/handfeeding/raising parrots. I breed lovebirds, cockatiels, green cheek conures. and quakers and soon sun conures. The most common time to take the baby from it's parents is at 2 weeks old, any later then that and it can be hard to get them to accept handfeeding. It's important that if possible they stay with the parents for the first week because they get all the antibodies and stuff from the parents. At 2 weeks it is safe to put them in a heat brooder around 95 degrees is good.
I recommend to watch youtube video after youtube video on handfeeding. If not done correctly you can aspirate them, if the formula is too hot you can cause what is called crop burn. if it is too cold the formula can become hard and sour in the crop and that leads to all different kinds of problems. I feed mine at a temp of 108F NO LESS then 104F NEVER do any hotter then 109F.

Thank you. I will pull them out at 2 weeks and handfed them. How much food should I give them?

I usually give around 10ml you want their crop full and to have a little give when you lightly push on it. If you continually overfill the crop it will lose it's ability to completely empty which can cause more problems. I highly recommend doing as much research as possible.

Back
Top Bottom