Baby silkie…maybe prolapsed vent?

Lunes

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
Hi! this is my second set of silkie chicks this year and all are doing fine- but one of them, I did clean it’s Butt off the first day I got it, just bc there was a bit of dried poop, and I didn’t want it to get any worse. Dried it off gently, went back under the heat lamp with its friends. I call it poopy Butt now, and it’s baby fuzz dried all funny so I’m not sure if it’s making it look like it’s vent is abnormally big, or if it is a bit irritated or swollen? This is also what it looked like before I cleaned it. I have them on electrolyte and probiotic water. No more poop has accumulated on its butt at all, btw, but now I’m just worried that it has a prolapsed butt! What do you guys think? I know the pictures aren’t the clearest but it was so hard to get a good pic, I did rinse it with warm water just to be super sure it was totally clean. I also bought some pure witch hazel that I read could help a prolapsed vent, and some vetericyn spray as well just to have on hand, in case it got any worse.

7EDE7CC9-653A-4342-B102-D0DD13A4BD07.jpeg
B7F3F5DF-EC83-41C3-AC94-DAB0C51413E5.jpeg
1D81CEB8-D63D-4F93-8466-23F502748D8C.jpeg

Do you have photos of what the vent looks like now?
Sorry I think the way I said it sounded confusing- this is afterwards, but I meant that it hadn’t gotten worse since I cleaned it, the size of it anyway

Sorry I think the way I said it sounded confusing- this is afterwards, but I meant that it hadn’t gotten worse since I cleaned it, the size of it anyway
I may be protruding a little more than it should.
I'd apply a bit of anti-inflammatory cream or coconut oil to the vent.

Keep her drinking well and eating. Offering a little wet feed if she seems to have a hard time pooping.

Keep her drinking well and eating. Offering a little wet feed if she seems to have a hard time pooping.
so I applied witch hazel every day Everytime I needed to clean its butt. It’s had hard dried poop usually stuck to it’s butt area, nothing as extreme as anything I see on google when googling chick pasty butt or prolapsed chick vent- but it’s definitely still an outie vent. Should I use prep h??? Or epsom salt soak? I just noticed its poop that was coming out was a frothy, foamy looking yellowish colour. Is that bad? I have been giving probiotic and electrolytes in fresh water every day. Chick feed is organic manna pro chick starter crumble. Any advice? I feel bad! I just noticed as I was writing this that another one has the foamy poop, but no irritated vent. So weird…all are eating and acting fine- even the one with the irritated butt!

IMG_7381.jpeg
IMG_7382.jpeg
IMG_7386.jpeg
IMG_7383.jpeg

Here are some new photos from right now. I have been trying so hard to keep it clean 24/7, not letting it accumulate (except for when I’m asleep) but I’m not sure what else to do. Should I buy Epsom salt? I bought the poultry vetericyn. It gets here tomorrow. My local pet store just had the cat and dog ones.

You can give her a little soak in epsom salts to help with swelling. Dry her well so she doesn't get chilled. A hair dryer works well to dry the fluff.

Witch Hazel can be drying. I'd apply anti-inflammatory cream or coconut oil to the vent.

Provide fresh plain water in addition to the electrolytes.

Photo of poop can be helpful, but it's not that uncommon for chicks to have a little foamy poop as their system develops.

You can give her a little soak in epsom salts to help with swelling. Dry her well so she doesn't get chilled. A hair dryer works well to dry the fluff.

Witch Hazel can be drying. I'd apply anti-inflammatory cream or coconut oil to the vent.

Provide fresh plain water in addition to the electrolytes.

Photo of poop can be helpful, but it's not that uncommon for chicks to have a little foamy poop as their system develops.
Ok I did everything suggested today and as I was soaking it (i have been doing it twice a day) this afternoon after rinsing off any debris after the soak, I noticed the vent felt hard. I touched it with care not to push it in, or be too rough, and all of a sudden a release of a TON of poop came out. The poop all looked normal. It was so weird. Maybe it was just backed up? I applied the cream and some vetericyn after that and it seems to be happy. How long does a prolapsed vent take to heal usually in a chick? If it isn’t healed after a certain amount of time what should I do? ☹️

Bumping just in case anyone else has any advice 😖 I’m afraid of what to do if it doesn’t get better

Sounds like she may have been constipated.

I'd continue with the ointment, keeping the tissue moist, give her a daily soak and see if the tissue begins to return to normal.

Back
Top Bottom