Baby's hatching! Yolk sac detached ...

karekare413

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
My baby ducks are starting to hatch. The first two scooted out of their eggs & huddled. Both left yolk sac's behind. Is this bad? They're laying in the incubator & seem fine. Sac's are also laying in the incubator. Should I remove?

I think it's more likely the glob of waste they leave in the eggs after hatching that you are seeing. Unless they are in fact yellow with red blood vessels in them? That would be yolk sac, but it is not normal for them to detach from those and leave them behind. I don't even see how that would be possible unless someone intervened with their hatching or something.

Yes! That is probably it. 11 of them have hatched and only one had what was probably a yolk sac with veins. She got stuck and was in distress and I had to help her along. I hope she makes it but I am not sure. The other stuff was connected to their umbilical cord and detached as soon as they came out of the shell. They seem to be doing really well. Very active. It hasn't been 24 hrs yet and they aren't showing any signs of hunger or thirst, although I have offered both. I am sure tomorrow will be different.
Thanks for you help!

No problem! Good luck with your assisted one.

They should all start eating probably tomorrow. It also helps alot to gently dip each one's bill into their water so they can get their first sip. That usually triggers them to start drinking and eating. :)

Back
Top Bottom