Backyard Goats????

Just got some Nigerian Dairy Goats this year. Would love to have someone to discuss issues with. I will check out the miscelaneous section too ! For those tossing it around...my little goats are sooooo cute. Almost a year old and only weigh 20lbs tops. So precious, cannot wait for babies.
smile.png

hey nifty your killing me with all these sites.an now your working on a goat board.tween all my work an the boards im going kill myself.

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your little cuties cost you?

They are purbred with papers. They were listed at $300 each, but since I purchased three of them, they charged me $250.00. Average price around here are about $250 registered.

Average price around here are about $250 registered.

Wow! I thought mine were expensive. I got my two Registered Nigerian Dwarf doelings for $150 each, normally $175 each but since I bought two I got a price break also.

It goes to show how different areas of the country have such a huge difference in prices for livestock.​

chiknwhisperer asked:
How did you go about finding your goats? I have no idea where to look around me.

I started by looking through the local feedstore bulletin boards, talked with the only local vet who works with goats, watched Craigslist, talked to a couple of people who I knew had goats (even the ones that didn't have the breed I was looking for) and even went to the fair to talk to goat people in the goat barn. I just kept asking around for the breed I was looking for and when someone gave me a lead I'd call and talk to the people. I eventually found (through word of mouth) a couple of ND breeders that I really liked and ended up going to see two different breeders farms before picking out my 2 girls. I also had found two other breeders who e-mailed me pictures of their farm and animals as they were too far away to go see in person.

I found my Alpine milkers in a funny way... I had put the word out that I was looking for a couple of milkers. A friend had called and said she'd found some Alpines (but they weren't officially for sale yet) but thought I might be interested in her neighbor who was selling off several LaManchas and Nubians. I went to see those goats and wasn't impressed with the conditions that they were kept in so I walked away. The next day I saw an ad on Craigslist for three Alpines for sale. I called my friend and told her about them and she said, 'yes, those were the ones she'd seen before they were listed to the public." She had just purchased one of the three so I hustled over to see the other two and was very impressed with the does.. bought them on the spot. They are wonderful.

It can take months to find the right goat (if you are going to milk or have a special purpose in mind) and it's never worth lowering your standards and getting an inferior goat in those cases. Get everything 100% prepared at home (fencing, shelter, etc) while you are looking so when you find those perfect goats you can bring them right home.

Good luck with your search.​

Back
Top Bottom