Backyard Old English Game Bantam Colors

Well, first of all, if you are looking to breed to the Standard, yellow legs are to be thrown out. Not only is it a disqualification, it is also a recessive gene which means that even if the bird appears to have white shanks (which is what the Standard calls for in Black Breasted Red) it can carry the gene.
Slate legs are also sexlinked recessive. Willow legs are caused by the interaction of slate shanks and yellow skin, so your green-legged girl somehow managed to get both the wrong genes.
Ginger Reds are to have slate legs.
Pullets 2 and 4 are brown red.
Pullet 5 appears to be brown red except she has some stippling which makes me think she carries one copy of the duckwing gene. (Brown red in genetics terms would be gold birchen and black breasted red in genetics terms would be red duckwing.)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are mostly mutts (though it seems you already knew that.)
I'm surprised the BBR have yellow skin when they appear to be so small and typey and have good hard feathers, which would seem to indicate ancestors of quality.
Yes, when some of their definite traits seemed to not be there I figured they were Mutts, I still wanted to know their colors. I would have liked them to be to Standard, but we don't show. The two Ginger red cockerels we have both have yellow legs also, they are all small and good feathering, somewhere in their background (Grandparents) were quality birds. We also have 4 Self blue cockerels with blue legs, we are pairing them up with a pullet, I know we will have some bad genes but I am going to try to breed something back to try to get close back to Standards ,(maybe) or is that possible? Putting #2 and #4 with Self Blue cockerels to try to get some black to breed back.Thank you for your help.

Well, first of all, if you are looking to breed to the Standard, yellow legs are to be thrown out. Not only is it a disqualification, it is also a recessive gene which means that even if the bird appears to have white shanks (which is what the Standard calls for in Black Breasted Red) it can carry the gene.
Slate legs are also sexlinked recessive. Willow legs are caused by the interaction of slate shanks and yellow skin, so your green-legged girl somehow managed to get both the wrong genes.
Ginger Reds are to have slate legs.
Pullets 2 and 4 are brown red.
Pullet 5 appears to be brown red except she has some stippling which makes me think she carries one copy of the duckwing gene. (Brown red in genetics terms would be gold birchen and black breasted red in genetics terms would be red duckwing.)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are mostly mutts (though it seems you already knew that.)
I'm surprised the BBR have yellow skin when they appear to be so small and typey and have good hard feathers, which would seem to indicate ancestors of quality.
Even though #1 and #3 have yellow legs what are their colors? It's just a hobby for myself and my handicap adult daughter, my daughter loves her chickens.

1 is BBR and 3 seems to be a cross between Ginger Red and BBR.
It might be heterozygous for the ginger gene.
We also have 4 Self blue cockerels with blue legs, we are pairing them up with a pullet, I know we will have some bad genes but I am going to try to breed something back to try to get close back to Standards ,(maybe) or is that possible? Putting #2 and #4 with Self Blue cockerels to try to get some black to breed back.Thank you for your help.
Not easily.

Yes, when some of their definite traits seemed to not be there I figured they were Mutts, I still wanted to know their colors. I would have liked them to be to Standard, but we don't show. The two Ginger red cockerels we have both have yellow legs also, they are all small and good feathering, somewhere in their background (Grandparents) were quality birds. We also have 4 Self blue cockerels with blue legs, we are pairing them up with a pullet, I know we will have some bad genes but I am going to try to breed something back to try to get close back to Standards ,(maybe) or is that possible? Putting #2 and #4 with Self Blue cockerels to try to get some black to breed back.Thank you for your help.
Your best bet would be to find a bb red cock to cross back over all your hens, with the red gene.

Thank you for the advice, we have been fortunate to find a nice bb red and hope to get some nice chicks from him and our pullets.
Of course, happy to help. If you're interested in more things "Old English", I have a personal thread documenting all my breeding projects working toward show quality. There's also a "Show off your old English" thread.
Also, congrats on finding a BB red. We love to see pics around here. ;) Haha.

Back
Top Bottom