Bad bird

bgtmfsher77

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 26, 2013
I have a month old BR that will not stop pecking at the others. I moved her to her own brooder last week when she pecked two of the others so bad they were bleeding on their wings. She is so social though she just chirps until I pick her up. I put her back in the box with the other today hoping she might have grown over it but she is still doing it. She will grab the others wings and pull on them....I have tried making sure they have plenty of protein in their diet and made sure they have other things to do in their box and just not sure what I can do next. She is a beautiful bird and want her to enventuslly be with the rest. Any tips?

Their box is also plenty big for their size right now I know that can be a problem. She is the only one that ever does it.

I'd still start by giving them more space. How many chickens do you have in what size space (feet by feet)? If you can't break her of it, it could also be that this may not be a bird you want in your flock.

Last edited:
I'd still start by giving them more space. How many chickens do you have in what size space (feet by feet)? If you can't break her of it, it could also be that this may not be a bird you want in your flock.
This^^^^....and how old are these birds?

Not bad space for 4 week olds, unless a lot of that space is taken up by feeder water, etc....
....I'm betting that aggressor is a male.

Can you post pic of chicks and brooder space?

How are you managing and measuring the heat...too much heat is a common problem.
I would separate the aggressive bird, not the victims.
I use one of these for 'bad chick' time outs.
1/2" hardware cloth, put em under there for 30 minutes or so....repeat as necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom