Bad case of fowl pox? With ear infections?

Yes, you can use Betadine.

Try cleaning out the ear. Apply 1 drop of Peroxide, let it bubble up some of the gunk, wipe it clear. Apply only 1 drop at a time, then clean the ear and if you need to, work on it over the course of a few days if she becomes distressed or lethargic.
Hopefully with cleaning it out, it will make her more comfortable.

Metronidazole may be helpful so I would start it. @Eggcessive or @dawg53 may suggest something different.

There arnt any antibiotics that will treat fowl pox including Metronidazole.
Iodine will kill the virus and shrink the lesions but you must avoid the eyes. As mentioned, you can use plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes to prevent bacterial infection. I've never used Banixx.
As far as the ears go; see post #7 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-is-my-hen-shaking-her-head.991813/#post-15425016
For an ear infection this bad, I recommend Amoxicillin. Dosage is one 250mg capsules twice a day for 7 days. Here's where you can order it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=E68FC9E3-30C2-402A-88C4-567BDED2C139

There arnt any antibiotics that will treat fowl pox including Metronidazole.
Iodine will kill the virus and shrink the lesions but you must avoid the eyes. As mentioned, you can use plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes to prevent bacterial infection. I've never used Banixx.
As far as the ears go; see post #7 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-is-my-hen-shaking-her-head.991813/#post-15425016
For an ear infection this bad, I recommend Amoxicillin. Dosage is one 250mg capsules twice a day for 7 days. Here's where you can order it:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=E68FC9E3-30C2-402A-88C4-567BDED2C139
Ok. I will use amoxicillin. However she only weighs 1 pound. She’s a 5 month old bantam Cochin. She’s also lost a ton of weight because of this. Do you know the dosage/kg?
Thank you for the help.

Yes, you can use Betadine.

Try cleaning out the ear. Apply 1 drop of Peroxide, let it bubble up some of the gunk, wipe it clear. Apply only 1 drop at a time, then clean the ear and if you need to, work on it over the course of a few days if she becomes distressed or lethargic.
Hopefully with cleaning it out, it will make her more comfortable.

Metronidazole may be helpful so I would start it. @Eggcessive or @dawg53 may suggest something different.
I have metro on hand, but need to order amoxi as recommended by dawg53. IF it is ear canker, then theoretically, Metro would help right? And if it’s just an ear infection, I’d see no improvement?
I have at least 5 birds with ears like this, they only have the ear problem not the whole fowl pox on top of it. So that’s why I’m wondering if it could be ear canker? I’m at a loss at this point. I’ll start cleaning it today , order amoxi, and try metro for the few days I’m waiting for amoxi. Thank you so much.

Another bantam has those fowl pox lesions closing her eyes completely.. they’re both in my spare bedroom “hospital wing” now. Should I use terramycin on those lesions since I cannot use betadine around the eyes? Thank you.

Ok. I will use amoxicillin. However she only weighs 1 pound. She’s a 5 month old bantam Cochin. She’s also lost a ton of weight because of this. Do you know the dosage/kg?
Thank you for the help.
I think that Casportpony has recommended 57 mg per pound, twice a day, but I would round it off to 50.

I have metro on hand, but need to order amoxi as recommended by dawg53. IF it is ear canker, then theoretically, Metro would help right? And if it’s just an ear infection, I’d see no improvement?
I have at least 5 birds with ears like this, they only have the ear problem not the whole fowl pox on top of it. So that’s why I’m wondering if it could be ear canker? I’m at a loss at this point. I’ll start cleaning it today , order amoxi, and try metro for the few days I’m waiting for amoxi. Thank you so much.

Another bantam has those fowl pox lesions closing her eyes completely.. they’re both in my spare bedroom “hospital wing” now. Should I use terramycin on those lesions since I cannot use betadine around the eyes? Thank you.
No. If you read what's in the link I provided, you'll discover that "Ear Canker" is actually bacteria. Please read the types of bacteria that infect the ears.
If it were TRUE Canker, a protozoa, then yes, Metronidazole would treat it.

Terramycin eye ointment only treats bacteria, nothing viral. A good example would be if she scratches her eye and a bacterial infection sets in causing redness, swelling etc.
It will not treat the fowl pox lesions.
You're in a tough situation and I hope your birds make a speedy recovery. I've dealt with fowl pox and I know how miserable birds are. Time is the only cure for fowl pox.
The good news is that birds will be immune thereafter to that particular strain of fowl pox.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help.
No. If you read what's in the link I provided, you'll discover that "Ear Canker" is actually bacteria. Please read the types of bacteria that infect the ears.
If it were TRUE Canker, a protozoa, then yes, Metronidazole would treat it.

Terramycin eye ointment only treats bacteria, nothing viral. A good example would be if she scratches her eye and a bacterial infection sets in causing redness, swelling etc.
It will not treat the fowl pox lesions.
You're in a tough situation and I hope your birds make a speedy recovery. I've dealt with fowl pox and I know how miserable birds are. Time is the only cure for fowl pox.
The good news is that birds will be immune thereafter to that particular strain of fowl pox.
The first bird I put into hospital ward officially has her eyes open, and 1 of the 2 ears is looking bloody, but less swollen (pics attached). She has had 5 doses of amoxicillin. She’s still not eating/drinking on her own, so I’m still tubing her, but I can tell she’s feeling better, and hopefully will recover. The other 3 are the same, but have only had 3 doses of the antibiotic. One has terrible wounds over her eyes.. I’m honestly not sure how she’ll come out of this, but I’ll keep trying. Not sure if I should try something different on the eyes of this girl or continue the Terramycin. Suggestions? Photo below. White bird. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpeg
    IMG_4641.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4642.jpeg
    IMG_4642.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4644.jpeg
    IMG_4644.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 10
I wouldn't use anything else besides the Terramycin on the eye. I'd try lightly warming the ointment, so it spreads easier, and you don't have to rub the eye.

I'm glad you are seeing some improvement with the others, hopefully they will make a full recovery.

Amoxicillin can be give twice a day for up to 10 days, so keep it up. I'm sure it's exhausting having to deal with all of this, you're doing a good job taking care of them.

I wouldn't use anything else besides the Terramycin on the eye. I'd try lightly warming the ointment, so it spreads easier, and you don't have to rub the eye.

I'm glad you are seeing some improvement with the others, hopefully they will make a full recovery.

Amoxicillin can be give twice a day for up to 10 days, so keep it up. I'm sure it's exhausting having to deal with all of this, you're doing a good job taking care of them.
Thank you. I’ll continue Terramycin. Yes, I’m tubing Amoxicillin 2x/day at 50mg/lb dose to all 4 birds. All have ear infections. I’ll keep it up, and keep you posted. All of the help is very much appreciated. Thank you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom