Is this Fowl Pox?

Oct 14, 2023
Hi everyone, I was going someone might be able to help me. I currently have 4 hens who look like this. They are basically blind right now and I have to set them directly in front of their food and water to be able to eat and drink. I did have a pullet who a month ago looked similar, except it was only on one side. At first I thought her eye had been pecked out (her case looked a bit different than this one,) until scabs fell off a few weeks later and revealed she still infact had her eye! I’ve looked onlooked on the internet and the only thing I can find similar to this is fowl pox. Does this look like fowl pox to you and if so what would be the best way to help my hens recover from it? If you don’t think it’s fowl pox, what do you think it could be? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 3387391A-6888-4929-BF80-CFAF8581AC94.jpeg
    3387391A-6888-4929-BF80-CFAF8581AC94.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 4405F1C0-525F-40EF-8519-6E3B577F8469.jpeg
    4405F1C0-525F-40EF-8519-6E3B577F8469.jpeg
    715 KB · Views: 38
It looks like it could be the beginning of fowl pox. White nodules/blisters form and then scab over and the scabs are dark colour, takes a few weeks to heal.

If you can separate the affected birds that would be best. Fowl pox is a viral infection spread by mosquitos.

I would focus on hydration and also check the inside of the birds’ mouths to see if there are lesions.

Oh yes, that is a pretty bad case of fowl pox. Are you in the southern US or in a tropical climate? You will need to make sure they are eating and drinking by showing them the food several times a day. Scabs when she’d are still infectious, so it can linger in the flock for a few months. There is no treatment for pox, but with scabs involving the eyes, it can be helpful to apply either Terramycin eye ointment, Neosporin, or something like Vetericyn eye gel to the eyes twice a day to prevent a secondary infection. There is a vaccine for fowl pox in those not yet affected, and you can find it online in some vet supply stores. Once chickens get pox, there are immune to that strain in the future.

HI! The picture looks just like my hen did last week. I separate her immediately. Now both eyes are swollen shut and she's got lesions all over her wattles, comb and starting on her eyelids. Her nostrils are pretty swollen, too. Hand feeding her with a slurry of her feed and water, and giving extra water flavored with fruit to perk up her interest. Georgia Poultry lab told me to start giving her Tylan, which I started last night and also giving her some meloxicam to help with the pain and swelling. I've got the Terramycin ointment, so I'll start that on her lesions and in her eyes as best I can. Anything else I can do? Saw the comment regarding the vaccine - will that help avoid wet pox?

Back
Top Bottom