Is this fowl pox?

RosieCat

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2023
Hi everybody,

I have a suspected case of fowl pox and just wanted some input from you guys

I have another chick who has had fowl pox for a week now, I’ve been trying some things to manage the disease, but I’ve decided to make the hard call that for the benefit of the flock it will be better to just put him down.

Just today I noticed that another chick has a similar growth. I believe that fowl pox has probably spread to this chick as well most likely, but just wanted some input

Do you think this is fowl pox?

Attachments

• IMG_8755.jpeg
    IMG_8755.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8756.jpeg
    IMG_8756.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 54
I have never seen it in a chick, but that is not saying fowl pox to me at this moment.

I thought that fowl pox just got better, I didn't think you need to euthanize for that.

It may be fowl pox, but it looks more like a growth to me. The vast majority of the time it's not necessary to euthanize for pox. It's transmitted by, usually, mosquito's and most birds recover fine and are then resistant to it. I personally would either just watch and see how it developes, see if it becomes a problem or not, gets bigger or resolves, or have a vet look at it.

Huh interesting. All the info that I read about it indicated to me that it’s extremely contagious and needs constant maintenance for the rest of the birds life. I have about 25 birds so I’m worried about the others getting it and it becoming a big issue……..let me take a photo of the other chick that has it, because it would be really nice if I don’t have to euthanise, but I’m not really sure how to manage it from here without everybody else getting sick. Would love any suggestions for how to move forward!!

Huh interesting. All the info that I read about it indicated to me that it’s extremely contagious and needs constant maintenance for the rest of the birds life. I have about 25 birds so I’m worried about the others getting it and it becoming a big issue……..let me take a photo of the other chick that has it, because it would be really nice if I don’t have to euthanise, but I’m not really sure how to manage it from here without everybody else getting sick. Would love any suggestions for how to move forward!!
This doesn't look like fowl pox.
It actually looks like the birds are getting injured on something.
Can you post a few clear pictures of their setup including the waterer and feeder?

Fowl pox will run it's course and be done.

It's other respiratory diseases that never go away and sometimes it's best to euthanize when you get them.

A lot of articles on the internet are written by folks who don't actually know, or are just repeating another article. I trust people on here instead because they have seen it themselves many times.

Last edited:
I agree, the white chick looks like it has some kind of injury to the beak. Could be feeders, waterers, fencing wire, etc. I don't think you are dealing with pox.
There are loads of resources that talk about fowl pox, do a search. It usually starts with a pale, blistery looking lesion or lesions on the non feathered parts of the body, most commonly face and comb. Those gradually turn darker and scab over, and the scabs fall off. Easiest prevention is to prevent mosquito's from getting to the birds at night when they roost. Put window screen over all windows and doors (cut the door screen in strips hanging down and only attach at the top), fans that move air over the roosts, etc. If you have some cases occur, keeping feeders and waterers clean, keeping things as clean as you reasonably can, can help prevent the spread. I've had pox in my flock, did not lose anyone to it. The dry form usually passes with no real issues. The wet form is more serious and can require more supportive care. There is no treatment or 'cure' for it, but like the common cold in humans, they go through it and it's over. It's not chronic.

IMG_8603.jpeg

Yeah I see what you mean about the white chick, but just because I’ve seen the progression of it I believe it is fowl pox. The above image shows what it started out as a couple of weeks ago, and then when this one went down more have come up just as skin coloured growths and then have gone dark like this one. Which seems like fowl pox right?

Back
Top Bottom