Is this fowl pox?

Thanks for all that info everyone! It’s a relief to hear that it should just run its course and be done. It gave me a bit of a scare reading online “there is no cure” and I think it made me believe that they would be stuck like this for the rest of their lives.

I already clean out the waterers with soap almost daily and the feeders weekly so this hopefully will help control spread. Mosquito’s will be more of an issue, but knowing now that it’s spread by mosquitos I can now tackle it better! I also checked my entire flock for wet fowl pox and none seem to have it which is a relief!

Thanks everyone for your opinions and help! I’ll try and post updates :)

View attachment 3637093
Yeah I see what you mean about the white chick, but just because I’ve seen the progression of it I believe it is fowl pox. The above image shows what it started out as a couple of weeks ago, and then when this one went down more have come up just as skin coloured growths and then have gone dark like this one. Which seems like fowl pox right?
That photo does look like fowl pox to me.

Hi everybody,

I have a suspected case of fowl pox and just wanted some input from you guys

I have another chick who has had fowl pox for a week now, I’ve been trying some things to manage the disease, but I’ve decided to make the hard call that for the benefit of the flock it will be better to just put him down.

Just today I noticed that another chick has a similar growth. I believe that fowl pox has probably spread to this chick as well most likely, but just wanted some input

Do you think this is fowl pox?

Huh interesting. All the info that I read about it indicated to me that it’s extremely contagious and needs constant maintenance for the rest of the birds life. I have about 25 birds so I’m worried about the others getting it and it becoming a big issue……..let me take a photo of the other chick that has it, because it would be really nice if I don’t have to euthanise, but I’m not really sure how to manage it from here without everybody else getting sick. Would love any suggestions for how to move forward!!

View attachment 3637093
Yeah I see what you mean about the white chick, but just because I’ve seen the progression of it I believe it is fowl pox. The above image shows what it started out as a couple of weeks ago, and then when this one went down more have come up just as skin coloured growths and then have gone dark like this one. Which seems like fowl pox right?
This chick, it does look like Fowl Pox. Are there any lesions inside the beak?

I'd paint the scabs with Iodine to help dry them up. Encourage your chick to drink and eat.

Fowl Pox can be contagious, but it's mainly spread by mosquitoes. Once your chicks have recovered, then they should build some resistance to the virus.

At this point, there's no need to cull your chicks.

You can also sanitize the water to help prevent the spread. Info is in this article https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

1694923706039.png

Back
Top Bottom