:( Bad Day

PDJTP2006

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 26, 2007
This morning I checked my 2 week old chicks out side and they were fine with there 2 heat lamps and they were all happy. MY mom sent me a text message during my class and said they had all died
sad.png
the heat lamp exploded and somehow they all passed away im so bummed I had Brown Leghorns and Salmon Faverolles and a adorable lil mystery chick from Mcmurrary. Poor babies

PTJTP2006, sorry to hear about the bad accident. Heat lamps can be dangerous, so caution when using them is of real importance. If water comes in contact with a hot lamp it causes them to explode, while I know nothing about your set-up that would be my guess as to what happened.

Making sure the lamp is extra secure from where it's hung from, can make all the difference between a broken bulb or a fire if one was to fall onto dry bedding. Many coops and brooders have been lost to fires.

I've had birds break bulbs when they fly into the lamp, the bulb breaks at the socket and remains intack by the wires, the wire cage to protect the bulb helps but isn't fool proof. If those would of fell down on dry shavings the outcome wouldn't be good.

In brooders I suspend the lamp 18" from the brooder floor, with plenty of room for the peeps to move under the lamp for heat and away to cool of as needed.

bigzio

PDJTP2006, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
It's true that it is very rare that a heat bulb will explode on its own like that, and I agree with bigzio water or moisture must have come into contact with the bulb for it to shatter like it did.
Was this your first little flock?
Hope you can work our whatever happened so that you can prevent it from ever occuring again, but I know how bad it feels to loose those little peeps.

Back
Top Bottom