Bad Dog!!

droolin.gif
I probably don't need to tell you this as you said your lab is 6...but they are driven by their gut...
As Redyre Rotties said prevention would have been best but every time a food driven dog gets a food reward the behaviour is reinforced despite all your best efforts at discipline. I would suggest that until she learns kitchen manners that you make sure there is no available reward/food or make the kitchen an out of bounds area.
We had a lab who got off the property once and found that the lady across the road left food out for her cats. He would do anything to try and sneak off to get back there after just one catfood feast....even over a year later he was still trying to sneak off when we opened the gate. That is how strong the food reinforcement is for some labs.

Quote:
I worked with someone who used one of those for her cats. Her pit mix stole it and she came home to find him playing with it. He would jump on it then jump back off and zoom around the kitchen then run back up and do it again.
wee.gif
. That dog was bananas.

Your getting awesome advice.
Put the food away in the fridge, throw it out, or put it in the microwave. Don't leave it on the counter. Pushing it to the back doesn't
count as cleaning up after eating. Scat mats are made for dogs to. Some people put them infront of fencing to help with fence escapers.

Scat mats for dogs:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+9+3452&pcatid=3452

Last edited:
My dog is definitely driven by food lol. She's a sneaky thief, up until a few months ago she could open the cupboard and have a feast everytime I was working. I had to put child locks on EVERYTHING! It's just getting ridiculous with her stealing everything, she even tries to get the chicken treats lol. I still can't believe she jumped up on the barbecue 3 times to steal meat!
he.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the link I will definitely order some. I don't leave food out overnight or anything, the only time food is out is when a meal is being served. I barely turn my back and then she attacks.

Quote:
Thanks for the link I will definitely order some. I don't leave food out overnight or anything, the only time food is out is when a meal is being served. I barely turn my back and then she attacks.

Ahh. Crating her while your serving meals will help alot. Put her in a differnet room, whatever. As long as she has no access to the kitchen.
She barks - ignore her. She'll eventually learn barking doesn't get her out. Wishing you luck

Had issues with that. We fixed him once and for all on counter surfing. Put one of those plastic mats for carpeting (the ones that help chairs roll) and put it upside down, with the sharp side up. One jump on that cured him of doing it again...

As has been said already, setting your dog up for success is your best training tool. Put food away always. To help things along you can do some counter-conditioning (no pun really intended though it works nicely here
tongue.png
). The best thing I have used is some cardboard with some duct tape folded so that it is double sided. Use a LOT of tape and put the cardboard mats on the counter, when the dog jumps up the cardboard gets stuck pretty well on the paws and it momentarily scares the dog when the cardboard doesn't come off and it makes a lot of noise too. I've seen this done one time and have it work quite well, other times you have to do it several times. For added conditioning oomph you can stack used soda cans up on the cardboard, they fall as the dog jerks it's paws off the counter adding to the sudden 'correction' for jumping up.

Back
Top Bottom