Bad Egg?

WilloughbyStead

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2016
USA-FL
Has anyone ever seen eggs with clear fluid bubbles in them when candling? Like moving freely around the egg while turning when candling the egg? I have had 1 from my last hatch do this- and the outcome wasn't good. Now I have 2 doing it. I can't find information on it online. Just wondering what it is, what causes it. Maybe I'm just not wording it right in my searches. It seems the eggs aren't viable from my previous experience. Just double checking before I toss out two more for the same reason (albeit different shipment) ..

I can post a pic if anyone is curious or has no clue what I'm talking about...

Last edited:
A photo or, better still, a video of what you are seeing when you candle would be most helpful.
When you say the outcome was not good in the last situation you had with this did you perform an eggtopsy to determine at what point the egg arrested development?

Yikes my husband I decided last night to throw these two eggs out, I should have photographed them first. I figured it was pretty common since it's happened now a few times to us. My husband says he thinks it was detached air cells that are floating around inside them. We ultimately decided to toss because we didn't see any yolk (maybe it was scrambled) and the fluid all seemed clear with no sign of development or viability. Day 5.

To answer your question last time this happened, the egg just broke/blew up inside the incubator. We never made it to any viability. Fearing that would happen again and not seeing any sign of fertility or life we tossed to prevent the mess this time.

Here's a pic (not mine) of the closest I could find to what it looks like... I have a high res camera I will take a pic next time. Seems to only happen with the shipped eggs. Never had it happen from my own flock. After further google searching and research I believe it's called a rolling detached air cell. Looks like a clear bubble inside the egg which rolls with your movement when candled. Neither one of the eggs had any visible yolk like a normal egg would. Maybe because it was scrambled with the fluid?

If you couldn't clearly see a yolk in those eggs, my guess would be scrambled yolks from shipping, too. It's not difficult to imagine that with enough shaking, the inside of the egg might look "whisked".
1f641.png

Back
Top Bottom