Bad Experience w/IDEAL Poultry Hatchery: Normal Occurrence?

I would honestly look for a breeder first. If you can't find what you're looking for and decide to go with a hatchery, my recommendation would be Meyer. I've found them helpful in the past and every chick I ordered from them arrives alive and thrived afterwards. I ordered from My Pet Chicken this year, just because of availability of some breeds I was wanting and the chicks are doing well. In hindsight, I probably would've waited for the chicks to become available elsewhere because for hatchery quality chicks - My Pet Chicken's prices are almost criminal...

I have just placed my third order to Ideal this year.I have ordered bantams twice from them the first was for 16 and they sent 10 extras for warmth in Jan.all survived.The second was for 20 silkies and twenty arrived i sort of weak and it passed next day,the rest survived.I have just ordered 20 sex links and look forward to getting them.

I also orders from ideal. Originally I ordered 10 silkies. And was prepared to have the extra peanuts. But then I changed my mind and when I called and left a message that I would like to add to my order they called back the next day. I ordered 2 barnvelders 2 glw and 2 standard white Cochins at this time I did ask not to send any extra peanuts and opted for the heat pack and hay. They were very helpful to me and very professional. The chicks were sent out on Wednesday morning and I received them on Thursday morn at 630 am my post office called me. All of them were alive and thriving. I have not lost any. The did send 2 extras and I'm not complaining. I live in NH and they came from Texas. I would def order from them again. My recommendation to anyone that does not want the extra Roos for warmth, is to ask for the heat pad. For what little it cost for this is well worth not having the aggravation of finding new homes for them.

this is supposedly a blue lightbrown Dutch bantam from Ideal Poultry ordered in mid April. Advertised as purebred Dutch, I liked the blue , black ,and splash genetics to use for breeding some nice birds. So you can imagine my disappointment when people on BYC told me these birds have been crossed with OEG...... Is this true? It sure looks more of OEG Type. Not Dutch. I'm super bummed out I should've tried to find a private breeder.

I didn't order from Ideal directly but I know the feed store where we got our last batch did. First thing when we got them home I had to treat ALL 15 chicks for pasty butt. It was terrible cases too. Also one of the polish chicks is missing a toe. Let's fast forward 3 weeks to today I have one Silkie who has a severe case of wry neck and another showing signs as well. After starting giving polyvisol for that I see bloody poops, so it looks like they now have cocci. Worst nightmare. Also I can't get corrid until Wednesday, I hope they make it.
I would never order from ideal. The chicks are NOT vaccinated before leaving the hatchery. Now I have sick birds.
This is our 3 batch in the brooder this year and the only batch to have soooooo many health issues.

ordered 50 chicks recieved 51 with one doa. they currently are thriving with a few losses, they are 8 weeks old

Last edited:
Just had a fantastic experience with Ideal. I was so shocked that they were happy to deal with my tiny chick order on very short notice. I called a day before and my mother stopped in to pick up the ONE chick we needed and ended up coming home with two precious Ameraucanas. They are extremely healthy, so sweet and two weeks old now. Couldn't have asked for an easier transaction. I think I talked to Doris when I called and she was absolutely lovely!

Back
Top Bottom