Bad mamas

Chickhatchfever

Songster
5 Years
May 16, 2019
I have two 7 month old silkie hens that sat together and hatched together... then didn’t feed, water or keep chicks warm ... so after losing 3 of the 5 chicks, I took the other two away. They’re 5 days old. They are drinking water and saveachick from my finger but not eating. I will persist in my efforts to get them to eat, but I’d appreciate suggestions.

The two bad mama hens are back in the nestbox together... my guess is they’re going to stay put, broody I mean... if I give them more eggs will they be better the next time? Thanks in advance!

I will persist in my efforts to get them to eat, but I’d appreciate suggestions.
Where and how are you keeping the chicks?
In a brooder with a heat source...and a chick sized waterer and feeder?

The two bad mama hens are back in the nestbox together... my guess is they’re going to stay put, broody I mean... if I give them more eggs will they be better the next time?
I would break them both and not let them hatch again.

For broody hens, it is best to keep them separate. They will attack each others chicks and kill them.
Have you tried a mash for the chicks?
This isn't true. It may happen but as you've written, it sounds inevitable.
May I ask exactly how many broody hens you've had attack and kill each others chicks?

I have two 7 month old silkie hens that sat together and hatched together... then didn’t feed, water or keep chicks warm ... so after losing 3 of the 5 chicks, I took the other two away. They’re 5 days old. They are drinking water and saveachick from my finger but not eating. I will persist in my efforts to get them to eat, but I’d appreciate suggestions.

The two bad mama hens are back in the nestbox together... my guess is they’re going to stay put, broody I mean... if I give them more eggs will they be better the next time? Thanks in advance!
I gather from what you've written the chicks died from neglect rather than from assualts by the hens?
As a rule, I try not to let pullets sit and hatch.
I would not allow them to sit and hatch again if there are other hens that are more senior.
If these two are the only hens you have, or the only hens that will go broody I would suggest you wait until they are at least 18 months old before you let either try again.
I don't have Silkies but I have had very successful double and triple sits.

I gather from what you've written the chicks died from neglect rather than from assualts by the hens?
As a rule, I try not to let pullets sit and hatch.
I would not allow them to sit and hatch again if there are other hens that are more senior.
If these two are the only hens you have, or the only hens that will go broody I would suggest you wait until they are at least 18 months old before you let either try again.
I don't have Silkies but I have had very successful double and triple sits.
Update: saved one lonely “house” chick. It was neglect. The last chick that died would eat some but I think went too long without nourishment at the start. The two mamas gave up broodiness thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom