Badger or Groundhog? (or something else)

dd1026

Hatching
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Hi All. New poster here. I found this site while scouring the web trying to figure out what an animal in my yard was. I am not really sure what it is.

The hole it is using (on the very left side of the picture) was once a groundhog hole (saaw the GH in there as late as 3 days ago) but now the animal I see going in and out is the pic I have linked here. It is not the same animal (this almost looks hairless while the GH was decidedly "full fur". I am in NJ and am not really close to water, so I can't think its a muskrat.

Any thoughts or input or ideas would be great. We like the groundhog that was in there (we named her Molly), so I hope this animal didnt kill her or chase her out of her hole...

Thanks

mysteryanimal.jpg

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry I have no idea about the animal. Never seen anything like that. Guess they don't come west often. Good luck with the ID.

Imp thinks its amazing you were able to get close enough for a pix.

OH! that explains it. Molly went bald. I'm sure there's a really bad joke in there somewhere.
roll.png

Imp-sells rogaine for groundhogs

Hope you can help her. Good luck.

Last edited:
we thought that maybe it has Scabies (saw a pic of one with scabies and it looked similar to this).. but the weird thing is, it was full of fur not 3 days ago.. (literally - if it's the same one)... and it seems to be acting normal like a typical groundhog does... (foraging, etc)

we'll have to make sure our dog doesnt go near her... not sure what we could do to help it though... it runs everytime we go outside

Last edited:
but thats just it, she (think its a she) IS acting normal.. looking for food, etc.. how can she lose all her hair in like 2 or 3 days tops?

just weird... wish i figure out how to help her

Back
Top Bottom