Badly injured hen has mites

olbupp

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2014
my hen was badly injured by a dog - I have another thread where we have been discussing the injury. My problem is knowing what to do as the wound is very open and gaping and it impairs one leg function- on the other thread I've shown the graphic photos and will spare you that problem.

When I first brought her in I saw no signs of mites, but I figure that the time inside and her inability to preen and dust bath as she normally would do has allowed them the ability to increase in numbers. I actually realized I was being biten by something and couldn't find source....today I finally saw two small black "mites" on her and am thoroughly frustrated as to what to do. I've been washing and bathing myself wondering if she had scabies or something and was prepared to go to my (human) doctor on Monday - now that I've seen mites, I guess that is the source.

WHAT TO DO!!! (remember for her it's the gaping wound issue and for me I've never encountered this issue)

THANKS!

my hen was badly injured by a dog - I have another thread where we have been discussing the injury. My problem is knowing what to do as the wound is very open and gaping and it impairs one leg function- on the other thread I've shown the graphic photos and will spare you that problem. 

When I first brought her in I saw no signs of mites, but I figure that the time inside and her inability to preen and dust bath as she normally would do has allowed them the ability to increase in numbers. I actually realized I was being biten by something and couldn't find source....today I finally saw two small black "mites" on her and am thoroughly frustrated as to what to do. I've been washing and bathing myself wondering if she had scabies or something and was prepared to go to my (human) doctor on Monday - now that I've seen mites, I guess that is the source.

WHAT TO DO!!! (remember for her it's the gaping wound issue and for me I've never encountered this issue)

THANKS!

O.K., a pyrethrin based insecticide is probably best given her condition. Liquid or spray, the stuff is available for all species. I'd suggest spraying/daubing a bit on a cloth glove so just surface of glove is dampened/not soaked and gently applying under good wings/around vent. This won't kill all, but will knock down the density of the nasties.

If you have a jeweler's loupe, or other means of magnification, half-squash one of the creepy crawlies and examine it (Northern Fowl, probably).

Best of luck on getting wound healed and mites killed!

Thank you so much - good idea with the glove - will hit Tractor Supply this a.m. as that is all that is open and will hope they have it.

Just the thought of these things makes me cringe!

I purchased a concentrated Pyrethrin based product and I diluted to poultry directions....I took everything outside - her bin, her water bottle and cleaned everything thoroughly....eating items I used soap and hot water and the bin is plastic and I saturated it before cleaning it and rinsing with fresh water and dried - replacing with fresh newspaper. (my girl likes to stay up to date on the latest events)

When we took her out of the bin she was ready to go for a free-range romp around the yard. She still has limited use of one leg, but she was getting along pretty good. It was a huge improvement from our last outing. We corraled her back to confinement and commenced with the project.

I had on some great rubber gloves (almost to the elbow) compliments of hubby and I put a towel over her head to keep her calm. We sprayed the "good" body side and vent/tail area and I was able to fluff, spray and rub in some to get down to the skin. There were mites visible and I do believe they were Northern Fowl mites. Once finished I didn't see anything moving.

So, thanks for the advice and I'll be repeating in about 4-6 days to get any that may hatch.

I purchased a concentrated Pyrethrin based product and I diluted to poultry directions....I took everything outside - her bin, her water bottle and cleaned everything thoroughly....eating items I used soap and hot water and the bin is plastic and I saturated it before cleaning it and rinsing with fresh water and dried - replacing with fresh newspaper. (my girl likes to stay up to date on the latest events)

When we took her out of the bin she was ready to go for a free-range romp around the yard. She still has limited use of one leg, but she was getting along pretty good. It was a huge improvement from our last outing. We corraled her back to confinement and commenced with the project.

I had on some great rubber gloves (almost to the elbow) compliments of hubby and I put a towel over her head to keep her calm. We sprayed the "good" body side and vent/tail area and I was able to fluff, spray and rub in some to get down to the skin. There were mites visible and I do believe they were Northern Fowl mites. Once finished I didn't see anything moving.

So, thanks for the advice and I'll be repeating in about 4-6 days to get any that may hatch.

Good to hear she's in better shape than I imagined (why I suggested applying with the cloth gloves was to reduce stress/prevent the med from getting in wound - figured she was down and out).

Out and about is good :) Not being creepy-crawled yourself, is also nice :D

This girl is a fighter....I'm still amazed that she is still going and whenever I apply the spray Vetrecin she sqwalks and lets you know she doesn't like it. The injury is down to what I think is bone and even a small piece came out the other day. I don't think I got any of the insecticide around or in the wound. She does peck at the wound but just the dried dead pieces as there is never any blood or reddness from her own pecking. I'm watching that as I might have to find a way to cover it should that happen.

I've now got her on my front porch - thank goodness the weather has gotten nice as I don't want her cold. With feather loss from the attack as well as my trimming some to keep the wound clean I've kept her inside. With the creepy crawlies I've just got to get her on the porch and outside soon. I guess if I stay diligent I can eliminate the pests and have the cleanest chicken in the county.

(Now there is a new business that I bet people would pay for - hen house pest elimination and chicken washing) HA! It won't be me, but I might have considered being the first customer!

Thanks for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom