Northern Red Mite Issue. Nothing works

Pics

splitsec

Hatching
Oct 1, 2023
Hi everyone, I need some help. I think I have northern red mite. There are mites that are whiteish color but when they feed they turn red. I've tried the following things.

1. Elector PSP. Only sprayed on vent. That's what I saw people on youtube say.
2. Pyrethrin bought from local store. Cleaned out the coop of old bedding. Washed and sprayed everywhere including coop, run, next boxes, wood cracks etc. Didn't work. I then thought maybe the store one wasn't good anymore and bought another brand on Amazon but it doesn't do anything to these mites.
3. Used DE and poultry dust everywhere as well. Didn't put a dent in them.
4. Put vaseline on the ends of perches. This sort of helped or maybe the other things helped too because it seems like less mites but still a lot of them. The mites couldn't move through the vaseline and grouped together. Then I torched them because they were still alive.
5. Finally applied ivermectin on the girls. 5 Drops each. Applied a sticky paste bought on amazon and they still couldn't get pass the paste. This time the mites grouped up and have a weird reddish color. Not the normal red that is from the blood of the chickens.

I've been dealing with these mites for about a month now. I don't know what else to do if the ivermectin doesn't work. I might try Elector PSP again by dipping the whole bird in a 5 gallon bucket and cleaning out the bedding again and spray with Elector PSP.

Another thought I had would be to drip the whole birds in something and moving them to another location for a few weeks while the mites died in the coop. But really rather not do that if possible.

I've been dealing with these mites for about a month now.
It takes at least 4 weeks to break the life cycle of mites. If wild birds are around they can continuously re-infect your birds. You need to treat birds and coop weekly for a minimum of 4 weeks, and on occasion longer. So I would pick a product and keep it up.

You will never completely get rid of mites unless your birds are kept in a closed system. Providing dust baths can help birds keep mites at a reasonable level, and treat again as necessary.

It appears you are dealing with strains of mite that have developed resistance to the products commonly used to treat them. You could try old fashioned remedies, in old poultry handbooks written before those products were created. There are lots freely available online. E.g.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.hn4kga&view=1up&seq=9&size=125
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/69879#page/7/mode/1up

And/or you could replace your coop with an easy to clean with soap and water, smooth flat interior robust plastic one, such as Nestera manufacture.

Thanks Perris, I will check out those articles. LAtely, I applied ivermectin again and it seems to be working.
I’ve been doing the exact same treatments plus added Bravecto Plus ( cat flea treatment) for 6 months now. They are impossible. Have you had any luck?

The breeder I got my Brahmas from gives her birds granulated garlic. It makes them taste bad to mites. This will only keep the mites off, not kill them, but as ChickensComeHome2Roost wrote, if they can't eat they will die.

If you have a large infestation and conditions for mite reproduction is optimal you need to be cleaning the coops and changing the bedding every 2-3 days for several weeks. @BDutch helped me enormously when I had a red mite scare.

The best things I did was change my coop floor substrate to sand, change nest boxes to plastic tubs, change nest box bedding every week and put in pieces corrugated cardboard to check for their presence. I ended up dealing with some mite of Ornithonyssus genus but the ways to deal with free living mites affecting chickens is essentially the same.

Back
Top Bottom