Baffled over shell-less egg cause

Time of day doesn't really matter. I usually just put it in the beak and they swallow it. That way I know they got it all. If you want to mix it in a bit of food that's ok too, as long as she eats it all.

Update: Yesterday I go a perfectly shaped egg that had only a little sandpaper feel on the bottom and the top, the sides were relatively smooth and the egg was a lot thicker than they have been. I've also decided that the missing feathers are a totally separate issue. I caught her picking them her self. I think it's boredom, so I've started letting them out twice a day and for longer periods of time. I'm also putting Nu Stock on the bare spots. As for the egg issue. I'm waiting to see what todays egg brings, but I'm becoming fairly confident that it's a calcium issue. I've been giving them 3 tbsp of Egg Maker by Manna Pro daily as well as 2 tbsps of oyster shells mixed together and dumped in their food in the morning. They also have oyster shells in a separate dish for all the time. I give them about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese in the mornings as well. So far I have not changed their food, though I am considering it because I also noticed with this new feeding regime that one of the other girls always laid sort of speckled eggs with white on them (flat spots of color, not raised), but now her shells are all the same color a smooth creamy beige. So I do wonder if they just aren't getting enough calcium form the Texas Naturals. I'm beginning to think that the one hen, who had the soft eggs, is just depleted in calcium, because every time I give some extra calcium the eggs improve a little. I wonder if it started with stress from the cold and snow. I have not given her calcium citrate with D2 yet, but if today's egg is not better, that is my next step. I just wanted to give an update in case anyone else is having the same issue. Thanks so much to everyone who has offered advice!

Are you still feeding the Texas Naturals? I've actually been looking at changing to New Country Organics red house blend 8 layer pellets. As it has more calcium and is also offered by the feed store near me.
I am, but mostly because I want to use it up. Once it is all used up I'll either go back to the Scratch and Peck Layer 18% or look for another brand. I'll try giving her a calcium tablet for the next few days to see if it helps.

I am, but mostly because I want to use it up. Once it is all used up I'll either go back to the Scratch and Peck Layer 18% or look for another brand. I'll try giving her a calcium tablet for the next few days to see if it helps.
Did you have any luck giving her the calcium tablet? I tried this morning after another soft shelled egg and had no luck. I tried it in cheese and then scrambled eggs. I may have my sone help me and see if we can open her beak and put it in later.

Not yet, I had to order the right kind to give her. Giving pills to chickens is fairly straight forward and not too difficult. Just takes a little practice to get them to open up and get the pill far enough back so they will swallow the pills.

This video helped me when I had to give one of my birds antibiotics when she came down with bumblefoot.

We are having the same issues, Flock of 20hens is not quite a year old, Give them Purina Layer feed and egg shells regularly....They layed all winter -30f no problem, past month of june started seeing issues. There are so many others affected that there must be another cause to why this is happening.... We know they are spraying the sky with all kinds of Chemicals that are bad for us. Please don't fluff me off as just another Conspiracy theory.

Back
Top Bottom