Bag out of Layena package (updated w tutorial)

I have about six that I take grocery shopping (2 of the bags are cat and dog food bags)... Word of advice....be sure to hand the bags to the clerk and do not place them on the counter, they may get scanned....happened to me once, the clerk didn't realize it wasn't merchandise so she just put paid stickers over the barcodes.

I teach fifth graders and each month we do a recycling project. In February or March I will be showing the kids how to make these bags. I'll have two sewing machines set up in the classroom and each child will have the opportunity to make a bag. So far we have collected about four bags. Being in a rural community I don't think we'll have any problem getting more.

Maybe Layena should do a buy back too. You know if I bring in a bag I get a discount or the money saved by Layena is say .10 and that goes to provide Agriculture Education in places like Haiti or college scholarships for American children in Agriculture related fields of study. I do not sew even though is looks easy to do but I am very much in favor of green things. I would really like to buy the bags once and then have the feed store refill them from bulk. I know that sounds more complicated though.
These bags are so wonderful They are certainly a fashion statement.

Quote:
I've been doing this for some time now. Since I have get different feeds I have many styles of bags. They are so sturdy. The ones I can't make totes out of, usually because the bag is damaged, I use them to line the floor of my coop. I put shavings on top of it which makes clean up much easier.

I love these. I'm so excited to find bags that aren't paper now that we've moved so I can make some!

The only thing I would say about re-using bags for the grocery store: Wash them every so often. If they are bags like this, that you wouldn't put in the washing machine, you can fill a small spray bottle with a 1:19 bleach/water mix and give it a spray down, a wipe and let air dry outside (in the sun if possible.) Eventually, you can get drippings or bacteria build up from things at the store. I'm not saying you need to be a nut about it and clean them constantly like Monk.... but every once and a while would be good!
wink.png

I have vacation time coming up in the next couple of weeks. I was planning on teaching myself to sew anyway during this time, so guess who's going to try her hand at making some of these bags? My mom gave me a sewing machine that she bought in 1984--still in the box & never used! I have been saving my feed bags for about a year or so...right after I first saw this thread. Time to put them to use, huh? I know it sounds easy, but I'm not real swift when it comes to being 'crafty.' I do want to try my hand at making a back-pack type bag, but only after I've mastered the basic bag. I've gotten big on recycling, so this just adds to that! I am so stoked about this!
Thanks, to all of you for the great info & pictures of what you've done; it's helped give me the urge to get it done.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom