Bald butt and swollen below vent.

Pics

here's on of my buff cochins swollen butt,, I only got 2 buff cochins I use to have 11 of them but fox got most of them, please help

thoughs r mine to buff I just took the pitcher of them, please help them? whats causeing that? I saw buff cochin at the faire there fatter then mine and they don't have that swollen butt. the vet did an optospy and they said its fat tissue my friend don't belive that, she had chickens her hole life, but she don't know what this is her chickens never had, I had chickens sence I was 12, and all my chickens never had intill we got buff, there 3 years old now got them in 2010

This is an old thread so not sure if anyone is following it any longer. I have a bird with the same problem with swelling. She has been this way for over 2 years now. I took her to the vet to try to have the bulge drained, but he was unable to. He then sliced her open and saw intestines, in there and came to the conclusion she has a large hole in her belly cavity ( a hernia). the egg passes through this hernia as well so down the road it could become a problem, but for now she seems just fine. He also said that hernias are hereditary. I would not recommend assuming they are fluid filled bulges, automatically trying to drain these things. If you are wrong you could puncture the intestines and have fecal material loose in your hen, leading to a messy infection and a dead hen shorty afterwards. Hope this is helpful.

This is an old thread so not sure if anyone is following it any longer. I have a bird with the same problem with swelling. She has been this way for over 2 years now. I took her to the vet to try to have the bulge drained, but he was unable to. He then sliced her open and saw intestines, in there and came to the conclusion she has a large hole in her belly cavity ( a hernia). the egg passes through this hernia as well so down the road it could become a problem, but for now she seems just fine. He also said that hernias are hereditary. I would not recommend assuming they are fluid filled bulges, automatically trying to drain these things. If you are wrong you could puncture the intestines and have fecal material loose in your hen, leading to a messy infection and a dead hen shorty afterwards. Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for posting this, i have a hen i am trying to figure out tonite- bleeding from the vent, red bum, gave her a bath, have her in isolation, she isn't bleeding from the vent now, no egg i can feel, and firm abdomen- will look around here for info on the hernia...

Well, we had this Big Bulge Butt all of a sudden on one of our chickens. Two experienced breeders did not know what it was either. I took her to the Vet, and they diagnosed right away, this is a HERNIA. That bulge means a tear in her abdomen and entrails are in that bulge. It is related to the chicken's reproductive cycle (egg laying) and so it does not 'go away;' whatever caused the malfunction will likely happen again. It cannot be taped up or put in a sling. A hernia needs a mesh or sewing repair, just like a human's hernia. In the case of chickens, since it would happen again, the chicken would need a hysterectomy, her girly parts removed. This operation runs into Thousands of dollars. The hernia condition is indeed terminal, as a few people have said in these posts. There will come a time when our girl's bulge will finally burst, causing sudden death. Her everyday-condition is totally normal, no changes in behavior or eating or laying. She used to lay Humonous eggs, ergo the straining and hernia. My job is to keep an eye on her and if she is in pain, send her to chicken heaven.
My vet said the exact same thing. He even opened her up just to make sure. He does not see too many chickens. She is fine for now, but one day this will kill her.

It could be fluid collecting in her body cavity due to poorly working organs, but my gal has a hernia and her intestine slipped though the hole in her body cavity. She has been this way for years now, but someday this will cause problems and I will have to cull her. Really either way there is not much you can do. Some folks drain the fluid off, it indeed that's the problem, but this will be something that will have to be done often and does not solve the problem of failing organs. You do not want to poke around if you are not sure fluid is the issue, however. If it is not a hernia and you try to drain fluid off he by poking holes in he,r you will puncture the intestine and cause a nasty infection, leading to death. I would just let her have a happy chicken life and put her down if she shows signs of distress. Good luck with your gal!

Just reading this post as my Jersey looks just like your chicken! Did you ever find out what the problem was???
Thanks so much,
Emma

Ok, I think I found the culprit of this disease or what I would call a massive growth or tumor. We have a small flock of Buff Orpingtons. One of our Buffs has always had a hard time laying eggs for some reason. She quickly started gaining more noticeable weight than the others. Soon she developed that telltale red swollen bottom and funny waddle when she walked. Looked like she was walking around with a full diaper. Most of her eggs that she has layed have been the classic rubber eggs or some with a very thin coating of shell. She had gotten to the point lately that she just didn't have the energy to get around and was noticeably breathing hard. I made the decision to go ahead and put her down and I'm glad I did, even though it was hard. She was one of our nicer chickens and everyone in the family enjoyed her. After she was gone, I decided to see what it was that was bothering her so much. After a careful dissection of the affected area it was immediately clear that there was a massive tumor like growth that was literally pushing out her backside. It almost looked like fat. It had the bright yellowish like color of fat. The only reason that I believe it was a tumor is because it literally filled her entire body cavity and surrounded almost all of her internal organs. Her diet has been the exact same as the other chickens, so I don't believe that she was a chow hound and just got fat, I don't know. If you are experiencing this problem, maybe you could do a little experiment and limit the affected chickens diet and see if the problem goes away.

A really quick sad story to tell before I sign off. This evening when I put the chickens up, I noticed two of the chickens acting strangely. They were looking for their buddy. They searched and searched for her and finally went upstairs and I closed them up. As I was walking back to the house I could hear what sounded like crying. I walked back to the coop and those chickens were making a crying sound. I've never in my life ever heard such a thing. Broke my heart to listen to them. Probably won't get any eggs for awhile...:hit

Back
Top Bottom