bald eagle. legal options?

AmyLM

Songster
8 Years
Dec 28, 2011
Buckley washington
We have an extremely large adult bald eagle killing our chickens. On a small er commercial farm like our even loosing one bird is a blow. What can we legally do about the eagle??

Last edited:
Best bet is to call the Washington Fish & Wildlife. They should be able to help.

Here's the number of the wildlife conflict office.
360-902-2515

Last edited:
Contacting Fish and Wildlife is probably your best recourse, but chances are you're going to told to put your birds in a secure run. The feds don't give out permits to kill eagles very often (And they're the ones that need to do it).

I just found this question asked and the answer.

Can I legally kill such protected wildlife as a bald eagle or golden eagle if they are killing my chickens?

No, eagles are federally and state protected wildlife. Any permit to lethally control them would be issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and only in extremely rare situations, following the exhaustion of all non-lethal control measures.

I figured they would tell me im up a particular creek without a paddle but this eagle isn't leaving. Hes here EVERY day killing my birds an i saw it kill and eat my neighbors cat right in thier front yard in broad daylight. Hes apparently decided hunting fish or wildlifes too much hassle so domesticated animals are all thats on his menu now. DEFINITELY a nuisance bird but I doubt anyone would be able to do anything about it.

What are somethings we can. LEGALLY do to protect our birds. We have covered high security run but i can keep 160 birds inside all the time.

Do you run any roosters with your birds?
ETA
A big Mediterranean type rooster does wonders for protecting flocks from aerial predators.
My recommendation is a Minorca or black Penedesenca.

I use bottle rockets to chase away hawks. They're much more effective than gunfire because they go off up where the birds are.
It is extremely rare that they would deviate from a primarily fish diet. It may be slightly injured as to why it is ignoring its main food source in pursuit of easier prey. Authorities may want to know that.
You don't know what they'll tell you your options are until you call them. I gave you the number. They can put you in contact with Fish & Game.

Last edited:
In that encloser I have three roosters. Ones a huge blue cochin.... Hes useless, afraid of his own shadow, doesn't crow, but adores being carried around so I keep him for people that want to pet a chicken.... Hes the easiest to catch.... He nearly rolles over for a belly rub. Fortunately, i also have the biggest splash orpington any of my neighbors have ever seen. Hes not far off from.turkey.sized. hes usually good but he run from the eagle... Cant blame him. Also have a.little sizzle roo thays great for allerting and thinks hes huge.

In my flock i have nearly 60 breeds (had 63 breeds till this eagle came along). Some are Mediterranean breeds. They do seem to be alot more allert. My Sumatran seems to be the most preditor savy even.though shes impossible to keep contained. When she.goes for cover they all do.

IMO there may be more feisty breeds but Meds are extremely wary, large and agile enough to defend.

When aerial predators approach, they see them long before I do, they send the hens for cover and stand their ground facing the raptor. The raptors that don't turn away get taken down. I know hawks aren't eagles but it is impressive to watch.

Last edited:
Use a scarecrow! I think that if you will billed a good scarecrow or use a mannequin, dressed up like a man whit something flapping in his hand and frequently place changed, it will keep them away!

Back
Top Bottom