Bald Red Butts

Feather plucking can be come habit, a bad habit. The one who looks the best is usually the worst offender. After all why should she pluck her own when there are others feathers to pluck and eat. They are usually a high ranking bird, so shaking up the pecking order may help.
Have any suggestions about which is the best way to do that? If my birds keep at it then next winter I'll have to buy them fur coats.

Separation for a week of the offender is usually the way its done. The time allows the rest of the flock to set up a pecking order without her. When she comes back she has to earn her place in the new order and doesn't have time for plucking feathers. It may help. If it doen't try pinless peepers.

Last edited:
Separation for a week of the offender is usually the way its done. The time allows the rest of the flock to set up a pecking order without her. When she comes back she has to earn her place in the new order and doesn't have time for plucking feathers. It may help. If it doen't try pinless peepers.
Thanks, that sounds easy enough. I had thought about the peepers. I like the idea of changing the pecking order much better.

Originally Posted by ChickenAl

Thanks, that sounds easy enough. I had thought about the peepers. I like the idea of changing the pecking order much better.

Curious, as I am new to chickens, what are pinless peepers?

I think the same thing, I close them in at night because we have so many predators here and I think thats when the picking starts, on the roost.The head to butt thing must be irresistable for the feather eaters.Two of my reds and one barred rock are in pristene condition, they must be the offenders.It's so frusterating! Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, glad I'm not alone with this problem!
roll.png

Most of my flock looks similar. Mostly right above the tail. I bought a hen saddle to try, and pinless peepers. So far its been a month and I can't see much of a change. I even peeped the rooster. I don't know if they're plucking each other or if the roo is just to rough on them. I'm going to trim his spurs and see if that helps too. My poor RIR girls have bald backs!

I'm not sure that's my problem as my Rooster looks as bad as any of them. I also have about 28 hens in that coop and about half of them have problems. I haven't seen feather picking or eating from anyone and it's my bossy girls who are the worst. So frustrating.

My DB and I are going to add more roosts to the coop tonight, I hope this helps even if just a little. Now that the ground has thawed we are also going to extend their yard so everyone will have a little bit more ground to claim. Good Luck everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom