Seven of my nine laying hens molted like normal

Chicken_man_J

Songster
Apr 21, 2023
SE Florida
My laying hens molted about two or so months ago. All of my hens except 2 of my 3 silver wyandottes regained their feathers. In the attached picture one is highlighted and the other is not. They are free range and drinking water and eating the same as my other hens. I'm getting about 6 eggs daily. I have 1 Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Bar Rock, 1 Red Sex link, 2 Buffs, 3 Silver wyandottes. Went to plain water after discussion on here to limit vitamins or adding to plain water. The wyandottes are about a year and half old.

Attachments

• 2 silver wynadotte not finidhed molted.jpeg
    2 silver wynadotte not finidhed molted.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • highlighted molting.jpeg
    highlighted molting.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Have you checked them for mites or lice, or have you noticed any feather picking? Do you have a rooster? Can you get a closer photo of the damaged areas?
No rooster and no feather pecking. Have not checked them, being all the other birds I have molted and regained feathers. One of the ones I got with her molted properly which can can be seen in the picture that is not highlighted and she's in beteween the second picture that is highlighted.

Attachments

• close up molting 4.jpeg
    close up molting 4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • close up molting 1.jpeg
    close up molting 1.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 4
  • close up molting 2jpeg.jpeg
    close up molting 2jpeg.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 4
  • close up molting 3.jpeg
    close up molting 3.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
How old are these birds, in months?
Odd that they would molt in March.
I got these birds last February 2022 after they were at the fair from a friend. They were approx 4-6 months old when I received them. As far as the time they molted was around February.

Last edited:
Yeah not sure what's going on. The area is downy but the feathers look damaged, so I'm going to guess there's possibly a parasite issue but that's something you'd need to inspect for.

Yeah not sure what's going on. The area is downy but the feathers look damaged, so I'm going to guess there's possibly a parasite issue but that's something you'd need to inspect for.
How would I inspect for that and anything I should look for or do? Interested in learning as these are my first birds. Started with the 4 and now have 9.

Here's a site with some photos on what to look for: https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/ Permethrin would be the usual treatment if you do spot pests, but duration/frequency of treatment depends on what you're dealing with.
I will check them two tomorrow. As far as keeping the coop clean, every morning I open the entry/exit door on the front then remove all poop from the side door. I change the hay in the nesting spots when I notice it is dirty. There is sugar sand spots in the yard they have access to for taking dirt baths. I will let you know the results after checking them. After checking the two, continue checking the others until all checked then check monthly to maintain a healthy flock.

I just checked them both and there was nothing moving. Just looks like feathers haven't grown back. Looks like they haven't grown back from the quill.

Back
Top Bottom