Baldness around comb

chkn15

Chirping
May 13, 2015

I cannot see any mites or bugs in the chickens feathers. I am not sure why this is happening. It's only on a few of my hens not all of them. Any info is appreciated!

It looks like someone is picking their feathers. Do you have a rooster? How much room do you have in the coop, and do they get outside to roam daily? What are you feeding? Sometimes if they are bored, not getting outside, or a little overcrowded, they may pick feathers and some may be looking for more protein. I would make aure they are getting a good balanced feed that is at least 16% protein, but increasing the protein to 20% by giving flock raiser or extra protein can help. BluKote, a blue dye that is antiseptic, can help to cover bare spots, and some use a bad tasting cream such as Nustock to help prevent pecking and promote healing. Chopped egg, a good dry cat food, and 24% gamebird feed can be given as a snack to bump up the protein temporarily. Spending some time just hanging out with them might identify the feather pickers.

Last edited:
It looks like someone is picking their feathers. Do you have a rooster? How much room do you have in the coop, and do they get outside to roam daily? What are you feeding? Sometimes if they are bored, not getting outside, or a little overcrowded, they may pick feathers and some may be looking for more protein. I would make aure they are getting a good balanced feed that is at least 16% protein, but increasing the protein to 20% by giving flock raiser or extra protein can help. BluKote, a blue dye that is antiseptic, can help to cover bare spots, and some use a bad tasting cream such as Nustock to help prevent pecking and promote healing. Chopped egg, a good dry cat food, and 24% gamebird feed can be given as a snack to bump up the protein temporarily. Spending some time just hanging out with them might identify the feather pickers.

Agreed - looks like picking. There are many possible causes, as noted above, so figuring out which one or ones are contributing to your flock's behavior will be key in putting a stop to it.

I have them on kalmbach layer crumbles and free choice oyster shells. They have been getting outside to roam. It may not be daily but as much as I can with the weather in ohio. I have a total of 9 birds. They all fit on the roosting bar I don't know exact size of the coop. I also give them scraps of food, meats and such. I'm glad to hear it's not bugs :). Thank you for the help! I will try to let them out more and see if that helps. They are going on 2 yrs old and I haven't had this prob until now.

u got a mean one that pick out feather and eat them find one that pick on this one put her in cage so she learn to be good then let her out see if she better

Back
Top Bottom