balled up chicken

dannyisforreal

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
LOST
3 days ago i had a chicken break through half way then stop. I saw it breathing and it was the first time i saw it since the night before so i did not intervene the next day (2 days ago) i saw that it was not breathing so i left it there(have no reason why) but today it was breathing again and 2 more chicks that hatched and 2 that did but died.
hit.gif
so i hurried up and helped it out. it seems to be normal except that it is all balled up. Will it survive? Will it be crippled like that for ever?

HOPE THAT MADE SENCE!w

Is it clean? If it has been stuck in its egg for a long time, it may have egg residue stuck to it which will restrict movement. If it is sticky or feels crusty then give it a bath in warm (baby warm) water. Be very careful not to get water in its face. Dry it thoroughly afterwards or it may chill.

I had this same thing with a chick recently....she was stuck fast in her egg, then covered in dried on goop. I used warm water and a make-up brush to very gently scrub her clean. Then blow dried her, using my hand in front of her to keep a check on heat and power of the blow dryer.

Initially she was very hunch backed, had a twisted neck and she also had one clawed foot so I made her a boot and massaged the neck regularly. She is now almost back to normal, just a very slight kink in her neck if you look real close and the foot is absolutely fine.

Sometimes these little ones can make a remarkable recovery with a little help.

Back
Top Bottom